Recently Overheard
November 2016
J: Hey Daddy-O.
Sam: Hey Little Guy.
J: Say, “hey, Little Guy-O.”
Sam: Hey Little Guy-O.
Next day
Sam: Hey Little Guy-O.
J: Daddy, we are not playing O.
1 December 2016
Gillian: looking out back window: I just saw wild turkeys.
They were partying because they survived Thanksgiving. [I think she picked this up from her babysitter,
the magnificent Miss Melissa, or as LG calls her, “Weesa.”]
3 December 2016
I come downstairs in the evening dressed for a campus panel
in a sweater and jeans and, perhaps notably, lipstick/perfume.
Gillian gasps: Mom looks so beautiful today! Mom, you look so beautiful!
AC comes flying out of the dining room to give me a hug: And
she smells even better!
4 December 2016
J, waking up in crib in the morning after Sam put him to
bed, does a little twirly almost-somersault from sleeping on one side—pivoting
around the point of his shoulder and pushing up: Mommy! You are back home!
5 December
Gillian earns “mommy and daddy sleepover”—spending the night
in our bed. Then asks if AC can
join. Who can deny such sisterly
generosity? But they go to bed first,
stake out huge territory in the middle.
Sam and I climb into bed and cling to the edges.
I barely sleep, eventually climb out of bed with small throw
on floor. Then keep rolling around and
getting uncovered. Carpet itchy
too. Hip aching. Get comforter from AC’s room. Set it up.
Try to sleep. Need to turn it
around. Finally sleep a bit.
6 December
We wake up from family sleepover.
AC, hopping down from my spot in the bed: I slept GREAT!
*bitterness*
AC, hopping down from my spot in the bed: I slept GREAT!
*bitterness*
Gillian earns plastic glasses (has wanted glasses for
months—“I’m the only one who doesn’t have glasses!). They have big pink plastic frames and look a
little like safety goggles but she loves them.
G to AC: Do they make me look smarter?
G to AC: Do they make me look smarter?
AC: Yes.
7 December 2016
AC wakes up early and I’m already awake too. Comes in our bed for a half hour of lying
stretched out, arms wrapped around each other.
Such a good cuddler.
11 December 2016
AC at sibling: GET OUT OF MY ROOM.
A few minutes later, AC comes to me tearfully: You don’t even
have to say it. I already feel bad about it.
Poor little Munchkin—such a temper to learn to master.
12 December 2016
AC: We’re going to Papaw’s house, Little Guy. Mamaw died.
Me: She went to heaven, Ally Cat.
AC: That’s what happens when you die. Your spirit goes to heaven to live with God.
Me: That’s right.
AC: Little Guy, Mamaw died and went up to heaven. Heaven is way up past the sky.
Little Guy: Is he with his space ship? [ himself] Does he go in his space ship?
AC: No, Little Guy, heaven is beyond outer space.
16 December 2016
In the car on the way home from dropping Gillian at
kindergarten:
J: Where’s Chairs?
Where’s Gigi? Where’s Daddy?
Me: Chairs and Gigi are at school. Daddy is at work.
J: They are my best friends.
Me: That’s so nice, Little Guy.
J: Daddy is my best daddy.
Things Joshua exclaimed over on the walk we took down the
block to enjoy the 60-degree sunny December day:
·
An inflatable manger scene
·
Presents “for Santa”
·
Many a “Tristmas tree”
·
A dog that had a tail
·
That said dog was “not friendly” because of its
tail
·
A newspaper in a pink plastic bag at the foot of
someone’s driveway
·
A half-opened garage door that was “not down!” and simultaneously “not up!”
22 December 2016
LG: I want to marry myself!
G: Then you will be very lonely.
24 December 2016
Me: Is Marino your friend?
LG: Yes, he is my friend.
Me: Is Mianna [Marino’s 11 month old sister] your friend
too?
LG: No, she is mine baby.
I love her. But I do not love her
flower [headband].
27 December 2016
LG: Oh, Mommy. You
are home. I don’t want you to go to work
next time or the next time. I want you
in mine house.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home