The Wonders of Recombinatory Genetics
I used to think that children's virtues were dependent on their upbringing. This, of course, was before three very different individuals sprang from my womb, essentially fully formed in their opinions and preferences and all but the most superficial of their virtues. Sam and I continue to slog away at trying to inculcate character, but the raw material seems pretty different with each of the kids. Case in point, this conversation en route to the dentist today--
Gillian, thoughtfully: I think I would like to change the world. [She's been reading a lovely book called What Do You Do with An Idea? that our dear friend Amanda gave the kids for Valentine's Day. The thesis of the book, as Gillian explains it, is that "if you work really hard on the idea, you can change the world."]
Me: Gillian, I think that's a great idea. What would you like to do to change the world?
Gillian: One thing we can do is be really kind!
Me: That's the very best way to change the world, Gilly Bean.
AC: I think one thing you could do is to STOP ANNOYING ME.
Me: Or, Allison Clare, you could stop saying mean stuff. That would change the world for the better.
AC: I think I could do it if my sister would STOP ANNOYING ME.
Gillian: I think maybe I will be all good every day.
AC, suspiciously: I think that sounds really hard.
Gillian: Well, it would be hard. But I think I can do it.
AC, with some defeat: I don't think I can.
Gillian: All you have to do is be kind to others and do everything that mom and dad tell you to, okay?
AC, relieved to have come to a decision point: Yeah . . . no.
Gillian, thoughtfully: I think I would like to change the world. [She's been reading a lovely book called What Do You Do with An Idea? that our dear friend Amanda gave the kids for Valentine's Day. The thesis of the book, as Gillian explains it, is that "if you work really hard on the idea, you can change the world."]
Me: Gillian, I think that's a great idea. What would you like to do to change the world?
Gillian: One thing we can do is be really kind!
Me: That's the very best way to change the world, Gilly Bean.
AC: I think one thing you could do is to STOP ANNOYING ME.
Me: Or, Allison Clare, you could stop saying mean stuff. That would change the world for the better.
AC: I think I could do it if my sister would STOP ANNOYING ME.
Gillian: I think maybe I will be all good every day.
AC, suspiciously: I think that sounds really hard.
Gillian: Well, it would be hard. But I think I can do it.
AC, with some defeat: I don't think I can.
Gillian: All you have to do is be kind to others and do everything that mom and dad tell you to, okay?
AC, relieved to have come to a decision point: Yeah . . . no.
2 Comments:
they are both perfection!! Loved reading this.
This was the most perfect conversation ever. Wow, I am struck by how similar your girls are to mine. The personalities of the older and younger are identical.
Post a Comment
<< Home