Grace Notes

GRACE NOTE: n. in theater, a small gesture, evocative of character. / GRACE: n. unmerited divine favor. / NOTE: 1.v. to observe with care. 2.v. to preserve in writing. 3.n. an informal record.

Monday, September 29, 2014

House of Cards

Gillian: Let's play cards, Sis!
AC: Okay . . . Mom?  Mom!  I can't remember the rules for how to play Go Fish.
Me [in mad-grading mode]: I can't show you right now, Ally Cat--you'll have to play something else or play by yourselves for now and I'll show you when Little Guy wakes up from his nap.
G: Let's play our own game.
AC: Yeah.  Let's play our own game.  Mom, how many cards do you get for Go Fish?
Me: Uhhh . . .
AC: Never mind.  [To Gillian]  Here's three for you and three for me.  Now do you have a five of hearts?
G: Nooooo.  
AC: Now ask me what I have.
Gillian: What do you have, Sis?
AC: No, ask me if I have something.
G: Do you have three hearts?
AC: No.  Do you have a big A?
G: Yes!  Here you go, Sis.
AC: Good!  Now I have a match.  See, the first person who gets three matches, wins.  Now it's your turn.
G: Do you have a letter J?
AC: You mean, do I have a Jokester.
G: Do you have a Jokester, Sis?
AC: Yeah, here.
G: Now I have a match!
AC: The first person to get five matches, wins.

1 Comments:

Blogger Erin said...

And thus we enter the long season in which the rules for winning change according to the leader's ability to get there first.

Mon Sep 29, 11:16:00 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home