Grace Notes

GRACE NOTE: n. in theater, a small gesture, evocative of character. / GRACE: n. unmerited divine favor. / NOTE: 1.v. to observe with care. 2.v. to preserve in writing. 3.n. an informal record.

Saturday, August 16, 2014

Little Guy at 15 Months

Yesterday I was folding laundry onto the brown chair in the family room, and out of the corner of my eye, I saw something streak by and heard Little Guy's big giggles.  He was pulling up to standing by using the chair and then running across the room, maybe 6 or 8 steps before he'd tumble into the pile of not-yet-folded laundry on the floor.  It was his first attempt at really walking on his own--he'd taken lots of steps, even crossed the whole room before, but only when Sam or I was holding out our arms at the other side to catch him (he'd stagger forward, arms up in the air for balance, full of excitement and pride and giggles, but get so excited that he'd start running and tumble into our waiting arms).  This was the first time he'd initiated it by himself, and he entertained himself, shrieking with glee, doing it over and over again until he was so tired and silly that he could only take a step or two before tumbling onto his knees.

He and I also had our first argument that he won. I was trimming his toenails, and he was crying and trying to pull his feet away the whole time.  I finished, told him, "All done!" and gave him some cuddles, and he was happy.  Then I realized his fingernails, which I had just done recently, were also a little long, and I said, "Let me just try your fingernails too," and reached for his hand with the clippers.  He looked at me and said in a crestfallen tone, "Ah dah!  Ah dah!"--all done, Mommy, all done, you said we were all done!  You're right, little love, they'll wait until tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home