The Nose that Knows
Allison Clare has a freakishly good sense of smell. In addition to catching me having recently snacked, she often identifies people by scent; passing by someone at the mall, she might say, "That person smells like ____!" And indeed, it's the same perfume. I recently discovered that she is even able to detect, somehow, the difference between organic and non-organic milk, even if it's a new brand (oddly, she doesn't like organic milk). She explained that organic milk "has a bad taste at the end of the swallow and afterward." It was perfectly fresh, but maybe the lack of antibiotics in the milk somehow makes it slightly more sour? (All of our milk is hormone-free.) I suspect she has inherited this ability from Sam, who has frequently surprised me by being able to discern when I've switched brands of grated parmesan cheese or something like that. If she had only had the vocabulary, I'm sure she would have put it in terms of finish and lingering notes. In another life, perhaps the Fees would have been a great family of vintners.
1 Comments:
This explains AC's toddler(current?) pickiness quite well. With Abi it's all about mouthfeel. She loves string cheese because it feels so great and gooshy when it is all chewed and smashed and mixed in her mouth with spit.
Post a Comment
<< Home