Grace Notes

GRACE NOTE: n. in theater, a small gesture, evocative of character. / GRACE: n. unmerited divine favor. / NOTE: 1.v. to observe with care. 2.v. to preserve in writing. 3.n. an informal record.

Tuesday, April 01, 2014

My Monkey Goes Bananas

Actually, there may be one thing that the Little Guy loves as much as a bath: bananas.  On Tuesday of last week, I'm pretty sure he said his first word--I was getting breakfast and he was wiggling like crazy in his high chair.  He does this little rowing motion with his hands and kicks his feet when he wants something or is excited and happy, so he was doing that, going pretty nuts, and I asked if he wanted a banana while I was holding one, and he looked and said, "Buh.  Na.  Na."  I think.  If so, it would be his first spontaneous word, though he often repeats sounds that we think are dada and mama.

And the next day, I was cleaning up from breakfast when he suddenly started grinning ear to ear and looking at me like I was making some kind of big joke and he was waiting for me to get it too.  I was  trying to figure out what he thought was so funny, and what was it?  I was holding a stub of a banana left behind by one of the girls, and I think he thought I was teasing him with it.

If he's fussing in his high chair, and I ask if he wants a banana, he freezes and stares at me, then gives me his slow, "you're not just teasing me, are you?" smile. Then he kind of snorts and laughs and slaps his palms onto his tray.

And Sunday, when we went to the grocery store and I paused in pushing the cart and left him face to face with an entire wall of bananas--oh my goodness, how thrilling for him!  He was wiggling so much I thought he might levitate.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home