Grace Notes

GRACE NOTE: n. in theater, a small gesture, evocative of character. / GRACE: n. unmerited divine favor. / NOTE: 1.v. to observe with care. 2.v. to preserve in writing. 3.n. an informal record.

Sunday, January 19, 2014

Fully Human

I never finished this post when I began it two months ago, but I'm posting it now anyway . . .

I've never been one of those people who speaks about her unborn child by name, and even felt a little odd revealing each of the kids' names before they were born.  I don't think that's too uncommon.  What is perhaps a little more unusual is that my reluctance to speak the baby's name aloud has persisted until now.  Besides calling him a variety of nicknames, such as "Mr. Wiggles" (which he got because of his activity on the day of his second ultrasound) and "Little Guy" (we said things like, "How's the little guy?" until it somehow the phrase became a proper noun), I find myself resorting to odd little tricks to avoid the twinge of discomfort that occurs when I say his name.

The Balinese would be quite understanding of my reticence on this point, at least until recently.  They do not allow their children to touch feet to earth for the first six months and do not officially hold a naming ceremony until that age, because they believe that until then, the baby is still divine and has not decided whether to remain with us on the terrestrial plane.  

I think it's safe to say that our baby, our Little Guy, Joshua, has made his decision, and he's here to stay.  So I think I should probably start calling him by name, because he has almost never heard his name spoken by a member of his own family due to his mother's weird euphemizing.

At six months, almost seven, he's really become aware of his power in the world.  His hands are less like blunt objects attached to the ends of his arms, and more like actual tools.  He still loves his walker and just in the past couple of days has learned how to really go in it, paddling about at will.  Prior to this development, his movement was a bit like a duck, with all this activity under the bottom while he looked completely passive on top.  But now he leans forward, paddles around, cruises sideways along the kitchen island to try to open the drawers.  He frowns because he can't pull the drawers open as hard as he tries . . . because, unbeknownst to him, when he is in good pulling position, the walker itself is keeping the drawer closed.  So frustrating!  He also gets stuck all over, like a little bumper car, wedged up against a counter or the doorway to the powder room off the kitchen.  He'll wheel out of the room and then we'll hear a plaintive, sad little "ummhhhh" where he's gotten himself up against the wall of the hallway or the dining room table.  Someone comes around and sets him free and he continues on.  Sometimes the girls start pushing him around, and they'd like to really run with him, but they crash him into things or stop too suddenly and I have to tell them to slow down. 

New things surprise him and provoke a little startle, but his eyes are so round already that they barely widen--it's more like he just goes still and stares.  

2 Comments:

Blogger sweeten said...

I keep thinking about your not calling Joshua by his name...I read this last night. So interesting. As if somewhere there is this secret fear that he is not really real, nor really here to stay, but more of a wood sprite whose magic will disappear if given a name. And yet here he is! Yours! Adorbs, fer realz, srsly! My boys are a year and a half and I still sometimes feel surprised that they are mine and in my family and actual, whole, people. The other day all three kids were running up and down the hall in the nude before their bath and all that baby skin + all the noise + all the newly capable rushing about made me tear up at the precious surprise of it all. Blessings on your wonderful, cheerful boy. and on the relationship between the two of you.-- Erin

Mon Jan 20, 11:45:00 PM EST  
Blogger Tara said...

Erin, I think you're right--there is some weird fear at the bottom of it. I think it may be the fear that we didn't give him the right name! It was Sam's idea to name him Samuel Joshua and call him Joshua. I like the name Joshua a lot, but I didn't personally have the same sense of conviction about his name that I did with each of the girls, where I was certain of the name as soon as I knew about them.

And I do feel surprised that he's here, although a couple of days ago I was driving with just the girls (a very rare occurrence since Sam much prefers girl duty over baby duty and childcare is typically divided accordingly), and I realized it didn't feel like it used to--now it felt like someone was definitely missing.

Thanks for continuing to read this. :)

Wed Jan 22, 09:39:00 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home