School Days
Allison Clare's first day of kindergarten is tomorrow, and her life in school will begin. I so loved school, and I wish the same for her. She is excited--attending school is like a dream come true for her. She has gone to nursery school and then preschool, but I think she knows somehow that kindergarten is different and more real--not an activity, but an occupation. At least 50% of her excitement has to do with riding the school bus, and another 25% with wearing a particular plaid uniform. I offered to drive her to school for her first day, and she was horrified: "NO. No, no. I want to ride the bus tomorrow. And every day after that." (It reminds me of when we went to the open house at her nursery program for three-year-olds. At the end, she said to me, "Next time, I go to my school, and you go to your school by yourself, okay?")
At five-and-a-half, she is still fun and uber-friendly, and I think that the social opportunities in school will be really thrilling for her. One day I was with her at the Carter's Outlet, and she was chatting up some women who were also shopping there. I pulled her aside at one point and said, "Allison Clare, when people are doing their shopping, strangers, then you can say hi but then you should let them shop, okay?" And she explained patiently, "Mom, they're not strangers. I met them over by that rack." As someone who mainly tries not to bother others in public, I've learned from her how much some people actually like to be talked to and how many, many kind souls there are in the world.
A few days ago, she asked me if she could go to my school and be my student.
Me: Someday, but not yet. My students are big girls, like Prin and Sarah. You can go when you grow up and get big yourself. I would love to have you in my class.
AC: No, no. Because if I get big, then you will be really old by then. And I don't want you to get old.
Me: It's okay; everybody gets old.
AC: But you won't look the same!
Me: No, but look, don't you love how Grandma looks? And she is older than Mommy.
AC: Yes, but you are even more beautifuller. I want you to always look the way you do right now.
Then she thought for a moment and came up with a plan: "The only way for you to not get any bigger is this: Just don't eat so much food, okay?"
Apart from coming up with dietary programs for me, she is always thinking up games for herself and her sister. Today they played a game where the bus was running late (this game involved both of them wearing backpacks and AC's school uniforms, which were ankle-length on Gillian). At one point Gillian was despondent because Allison Clare hadn't opened the door to her room as expected for her role in the game. I went up to see why, and Allison Clare opened it and said, somberly: "Gillian, the truth is, the bus is stuck in the snow and I can't get out right now. You'll have to dig me out." Gillian chirped her happy little, "Okay!" and the play went on.
I can't believe that the funny little baby I gave birth to five years ago is already finished with the part of her life where our family encompasses all that she knows, and yet I'm so excited for this imaginative, independent girl to begin her journeys in the wider world. My big girl!
At five-and-a-half, she is still fun and uber-friendly, and I think that the social opportunities in school will be really thrilling for her. One day I was with her at the Carter's Outlet, and she was chatting up some women who were also shopping there. I pulled her aside at one point and said, "Allison Clare, when people are doing their shopping, strangers, then you can say hi but then you should let them shop, okay?" And she explained patiently, "Mom, they're not strangers. I met them over by that rack." As someone who mainly tries not to bother others in public, I've learned from her how much some people actually like to be talked to and how many, many kind souls there are in the world.
A few days ago, she asked me if she could go to my school and be my student.
Me: Someday, but not yet. My students are big girls, like Prin and Sarah. You can go when you grow up and get big yourself. I would love to have you in my class.
AC: No, no. Because if I get big, then you will be really old by then. And I don't want you to get old.
Me: It's okay; everybody gets old.
AC: But you won't look the same!
Me: No, but look, don't you love how Grandma looks? And she is older than Mommy.
AC: Yes, but you are even more beautifuller. I want you to always look the way you do right now.
Then she thought for a moment and came up with a plan: "The only way for you to not get any bigger is this: Just don't eat so much food, okay?"
Apart from coming up with dietary programs for me, she is always thinking up games for herself and her sister. Today they played a game where the bus was running late (this game involved both of them wearing backpacks and AC's school uniforms, which were ankle-length on Gillian). At one point Gillian was despondent because Allison Clare hadn't opened the door to her room as expected for her role in the game. I went up to see why, and Allison Clare opened it and said, somberly: "Gillian, the truth is, the bus is stuck in the snow and I can't get out right now. You'll have to dig me out." Gillian chirped her happy little, "Okay!" and the play went on.
I can't believe that the funny little baby I gave birth to five years ago is already finished with the part of her life where our family encompasses all that she knows, and yet I'm so excited for this imaginative, independent girl to begin her journeys in the wider world. My big girl!
1 Comments:
This was really beautiful. Thanks for your reflections...it is the quotidian, I am increasingly thinking, that is profoundly theological.
Post a Comment
<< Home