Grace Notes

GRACE NOTE: n. in theater, a small gesture, evocative of character. / GRACE: n. unmerited divine favor. / NOTE: 1.v. to observe with care. 2.v. to preserve in writing. 3.n. an informal record.

Sunday, April 07, 2013

Ready, Set, Don't Come Yet

As of today, I think I can say that we are ready for Mr. Wiggles.  My hospital bag is assembled, the baby clothes and bedding are prepped, and Sam has squeezed three carseats into the rear of the Outback. This last feat required two attempts and a lot of shoving and finessing, though less beer and swearing than past such events due to his by-now master status.  The seats are wedged in there so tightly that they actually overlap, but the doors close (!); as we each leaned into the car through the front doors, heads together, and peered into the back, Sam said abashedly, "Man, that's a lot of people."

I think that somehow having all of the "stuff" together is a way of addressing the feeling that there are so many unknowns about the logistics of his arrival. Though I'm not as worried about the actual labor itself, scenarios I've been planning for include the following:

  • if AC is at school, we need to call someone with a carseat (who that lucky duck is will depend on the day) and remember to call the school to give them that person's name
  • if I'm at school myself, I should not drive to the hospital in case the labor suddenly gets hard and fast as both of mine have done in the past, so I need to call Sam
  • if I'm home alone with the girls, I put them both in Gillian's crib with the iPads, unlock the front door, and call Sam and/or 911.  

It sounds crazy, I know--it probably is crazy--but Dr. B has warned me that I might have a super fast labor (like 30 minutes fast), and since I'm teaching through the birth, our schedule for every day is different and will require a different plan.  I'm weirdly excited by the challenge of it, and all of this makes me kind of want to just have him already, though I know that every day he holds off is not only very important for him, but also one day we don't have to juggle a brand newborn and my classes.

In spite of the material preparations, I'm not actually expecting this little one to make his appearance quite yet.  The girls were both born at 38 weeks and a few days, and I've just completed 36 weeks.  But I've had the thought that maybe he will be earlier because boys tend to be bigger, so maybe he'll be crowded and want out--better to be prepared.  When Sam got back from a 3-day work trip yesterday, he commented, "Wow--when I left, you were pregnant, but now you're . . . well, it's clearly the last month."  Again due to his master status, he caught himself before using any words as indelibly regrettable as huge, enormous, whale-like.

4 Comments:

Blogger Erin said...

I've always been impressed by your family's ability to make everybody's shifting schedules fit together. And now I am doubly impressed! I'm guessing that you are the family mastermind? And hear hear for early (but not too early) delivery, short labor, and being happily at home with your baby boy in just a few weeks' time. So be it!

Sun Apr 07, 11:35:00 PM EDT  
Blogger kohffeine said...

excited for you! :) hope everything goes smoothly, and keep us posted.

Wed Apr 10, 10:30:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Yolanda said...

I'm so excited for you. Great job on the carseats. Did you have to do those really narrow toddler carseats to make it work? I can't wait to hear all about it. I love your birth stories!

Wed Apr 10, 05:18:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Tara said...

Thanks, everybody. Yes, it's getting exciting. I just keep wanting him to be born already, even though I know I shouldn't because it will be so much better in a few weeks.

Yolanda, yes--we got one really narrow toddler seat. It is actually so narrow that we could keep one of our ginormous toddler seats and our same infant seat. Fortunately Gillian is a peanut. :)

Wed Apr 10, 06:19:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home