Grace Notes

GRACE NOTE: n. in theater, a small gesture, evocative of character. / GRACE: n. unmerited divine favor. / NOTE: 1.v. to observe with care. 2.v. to preserve in writing. 3.n. an informal record.

Thursday, September 09, 2010

Little Talker

The other day, when Gilly was fussing because she was already in her carseat and I was gathering up some things to get us out the door, I asked Allison Clare to go check on her, and then I overheard AC rocking the carseat and saying sweetly, " 's okay, Gin Wose. Mommy be right back. 'S okay. Munchkin's here." For all the ornery in my strong-willed little Ally Cat, her heart is often in the right place.

Lately, she has been singing this:

Twangkle, twangkle, litt-n sar,
How I watch you, what you are,
Up-abow-a world so high,
Like a dad-n in a sy,
Twangkle, twangkle, litt-n sar,
How I watch you, what you ARE.

Actually, her pronunciation has gotten better, but I just sort of wanted to preserve the phonetics. She has the will of an adult, or a teenager perhaps, so I sometimes almost forget how very little she is. When I remember that our battles (over things like putting on shoes to go outside) are occurring between me and someone who weighs 27 lbs, the desperation of her struggles sometimes makes a little more sense. Though I do sometimes wonder at it--like tonight, when she called down from her bed in a sudden, dire agony, "PWEASE, PWEASE, PWEASE, MOMMY COME HELP, MOMMYFIXITMOMMYFIXIT" and when I arrived at her bedside, I discovered the cause of all of this . . . was that the snap had come undone on the little flap that covers the zipper at the neck of her PJs. Oh, my daughter, my little Fee-fighter.

5 Comments:

Blogger Erin said...

I adore how she refers to herself as "Munchkin."

Thu Sep 09, 11:25:00 PM EDT  
Blogger April said...

Three posts in one day = Christmas. Also, the Munchkin is growing too fast. Please freeze her until I get home.

Thu Sep 09, 11:42:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Maura said...

I love these posts. You have such a way of evoking their personalities in your writing - it just makes me so happy.

Fri Sep 10, 11:59:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Julie said...

I think her affection for Gilly is so sweet.

Sun Sep 12, 08:20:00 AM EDT  
Blogger jenjoo said...

I love the phrase "Fee-fighter." You're such a great writer. This is wonderful, because you will have these endearing memories recorded in such an evocative and articulate way, that I feel like it will be so easy to slip back into time and remember these beautiful things about G & AC ... a reminisce truly sweetened by the words that evoke it.

Wed Sep 29, 03:58:00 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home