Grace Notes

GRACE NOTE: n. in theater, a small gesture, evocative of character. / GRACE: n. unmerited divine favor. / NOTE: 1.v. to observe with care. 2.v. to preserve in writing. 3.n. an informal record.

Sunday, July 18, 2010

The Pick-Up Artist

When she was really tiny, Gillian seemed to prefer her bouncy seat to almost any other situation. I would try to hold her, but she always arched backward, which made it necessary to hold her with two hands (and who ever has two hands free with a toddler around?). I tried a couple of our slings and carriers, but she also didn't like sitting with her legs tucked in and would push them fretfully against the fabric, and she was too little to ride with her legs out around my waist. I was beginning to get sad, thinking she might just end up growing up in her bouncy seat. Then I pestered Erin for a review of a wrap carrier I'd seen her using on Facebook, and ended up trying the Sleepy Wrap.

And--voila! Gillian became a happy rider. It's stretchy enough that she can move her legs around, and it allows her to face outward so that when she leans back, she just pushes against me instead of falling out. I actually got weepy I was so happy having her cozily snuggled up against me in it, finally. She loves to ride in it at home and when we are out (it has also solved the problem I was having grocery shopping, with AC in the cart seat and Gillian's carseat in the basket, and therefore no room for the actual groceries).

Now, as she gets older, she's less contented to sit around anyway, preferring to ride around so that she can see things. If she's sitting in her Bumbo seat and you approach her, she flails her arms and thrusts her tummy out to show you that you should put your hands under her and pick her up. She flaps with greater urgency if you delay; it is kind of irresistible, the flapping and thrusting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home