Grace Notes

GRACE NOTE: n. in theater, a small gesture, evocative of character. / GRACE: n. unmerited divine favor. / NOTE: 1.v. to observe with care. 2.v. to preserve in writing. 3.n. an informal record.

Friday, July 16, 2010

I and Thou, sort of

I've been endlessly amused by how AC learns the tricky features of language. Some things seem like they would be so confusing that I'm fascinated when she figures them out--like how the "I" and "you" in a single conversation keep changing back and forth in their referents. She has now figured out how to use "I" and "my" to refer to herself most of the time, but there are a few phrases that she has apparently learned as a single unit, not realizing that they contain the same interchangeable parts that she now knows how to assemble.

At bedtime, Sam and I usually divide and conquer, with one of us taking each girl. The other night, I came into the living room with Gillian where Sam and AC were playing, and sensing that it was about time for us to divide them up up, Allison Clare smiled up at me, reached out her arms to be picked up, and volunteered (in the phrase one of us so often uses), "I'll take Munchkin."

2 Comments:

Blogger Erin said...

So sweet!

Fri Jul 16, 10:16:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Yolanda said...

I love how they pick up sayings that we use. Lydia loves to go into Della's room when she wakes up, saying (in exactly the tone I use), "Hi, pumpkin". She also loves to say, "That sounds like a plan to me." Apparently that's a definite Mama saying.

Fri Jul 30, 08:34:00 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home