Grace Notes

GRACE NOTE: n. in theater, a small gesture, evocative of character. / GRACE: n. unmerited divine favor. / NOTE: 1.v. to observe with care. 2.v. to preserve in writing. 3.n. an informal record.

Sunday, June 13, 2010

I Just Don't Want to Talk About It

Allison Clare woke up in a bad mood from her nap today.

Me: Allison Clare, do you want to get up?
AC (crying): No get up!
Me: Do you want to stay in your bed?
AC (crying louder): No stay bed!
Me: Do you want Mommy to sit here in the chair?
AC (yelling): No Mommy sit chair!
Me: Do you want Mommy to go?
AC (with ever increasing frustration): No Mommy go!
Me: Allison Clare, what do you want?
AC: NO ASK!

A few minutes later, she volunteered that she wanted to stay in her bed, so I went and put away some laundry, and when I returned, she said cheerfully, "Hi Mommy!" The child is definitely on her own timetable.

1 Comments:

Blogger kate said...

Wow. Yes. I've been going through this kind of thing with Maddie (not quite yet 2) lately, only she's not nearly as able to articulate what's going on. She'll ask for something, then freak out and scream NO! when you give it to her. Then, often, after she's flung it somewhere, clutch it desperately to her chest when you try offering it again. (if you dare!)

Thu Jul 15, 03:16:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home