Grace Notes

GRACE NOTE: n. in theater, a small gesture, evocative of character. / GRACE: n. unmerited divine favor. / NOTE: 1.v. to observe with care. 2.v. to preserve in writing. 3.n. an informal record.

Monday, May 17, 2010

Hamburgers andMeatandCheeseandMilk--Oh My!

Saturday was beautiful here--bright and clear and cool. I've been teaching just one class this term, the senior capstone seminar on Melville, and my students had their presentations on Saturday morning. They were wonderful . . . as I told them on our last class day, when you have a tiny baby at home, you never want to leave her, but they were so great to work with that I enjoyed every single class with them. They were smart and hardworking and funny and they took the work so seriously--it was a joy to know them, and I was especially glad to have them this term.

Later in the afternoon, we took the girls to Allison Clare's favorite place, McDonald's. It's funny how she has gravitated toward it, since we didn't make a big deal out of it the first time we went. But she immediately seemed to recognize that it was a place for kids, and she loves going there so much that we love taking her there and have to work to limit our visits. You can see her excitement here. I love her little hop-footed dance.



[Translation: Hamburgers and meat and cheese and milk! And--straw! Ice cream! Oh yeah! Okay kay kay. Where are you, Da? 'Kay. 'Kay. Daddy, Daddy, Daddy . . .]

We also went to the Spring House, a dairy farm with a country store and restaurant afterward, where Allison Clare got to see some goats, eat an ice cream cone, and climb around on a tractor, which she has talked obsessively about ever since. Maybe she will be a farmer, and make her Grandpop proud.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home