The Fee Relations
As I mentioned in my last post, we went out to Cincinnati this past weekend to introduce Sam's parents to their newest granddaughter and to celebrate the imminent arrival of Sam's high school friend's baby son. We had a great time all around--I always love seeing Sam with his friends from high school. There's something about really old friends, a level of trust I guess.
Gillian, of course, was our easy traveler. She napped most of the time in the car, fussed just a little at the baby shower (our first stop), and then slept at night as if she were at home. She was adaptable and cheerful with all the new environs and people. Allison Clare was really excited to see Mamaw & Papaw and her cousins, and she ran around chattering and playing. She was great while awake, but all the excitement just wore her out I guess, so she had a hard time settling down and woke up FOUR times screaming inconsolably. If we had had Gillian first, we would totally have thought this parenting thing was super easy. Sleep training? Who needs sleep training? Just put her in her crib and she falls asleep on her own! Baby gear? The baby doesn't need anything--just amuse her with smiles and love-pats!
But fortunately, we had been (and still are) suitably humbled by parenting Allison Clare. Who, for example, wailed in sheer devastation for ten minutes, sobbing on the floor of our bedroom this afternoon--and why? Because I had changed out of my shirt from work into a t-shirt. Apparently, she preferred the work shirt ("Nooooo . . . white shirt on . . .). Ten minutes of sobs like her heart was broken. I think it is her Fee genes . . . my mother-in-law calls them "Fee fits" and apparently they can be produced by the little women of the family as well as the grown men.
2 Comments:
I have to laugh at the work shirt/ T-shirt story... I have a number of laid-back friends and relatives who have been blessed with very intense,strong-willed children. In a way, it seems like THEY have had to become (or at least act) more strong-willed themselves in order parent their children. My nephew is almost six and still has a meltdown if his pant cuffs aren't aligned just right.
Fee fits! Hee hee hee hee!
I think this sort of attention to detail will be put to good use by the older versions of these children. At least, that's what I tell myself. Such security in the details, eh!
God bless the second, mellower child.
Post a Comment
<< Home