Recombination
When I graduated from college, the baccalaureate speaker gave a somewhat bizarre address in which he admonished us not to have children. A biologist, he explained that the world was overpopulated and that we "of all people" would be encouraged to have children because of our "many talents," and we should resist by recalling the genetic dice-roll that is recombination.

Allison Clare definitely has a mix of Sam's and my personalities, most notably a double dose of strong will. It's as if she inherited every trait from both of us that could possibly reinforce it: Sam's decided preferences and touch of grumpiness, my energy level and stubbornness. She's also extremely observant with a startling memory. She has been delightful to us, if not exactly easy, mellow, or low-maintenance.
Gillian, on the other hand, is much more patient and adaptable, even as a newborn. She's still in her sleepy brand-new stage, but she rarely cries loudly unless really perturbed . . . it takes her a looong time to build up from fussing mildly to actually crying out (Allison Clare went from zero to sixty in about three seconds). Even at birth, she didn't cry loudly at first and the OB said, "We want to hear a loud cry" and suctioned her mouth, etc. Then she did comply, but honestly? She simply didn't seem that upset about being born.
Sam is more flexible than I am in some ways, and I am more so in others, so it I don't know yet whose personality, or what combination, she'll display, but I have to confess to taking a foolish delight in the resemblance she bears to my first photo. Why? I don't know.
4 Comments:
oh she's a total sweetheart (and you were an adorable baby, too!!!). I love the pics.
wow! the resemblance is striking. May she inherit your beauty and brains as well...
Wow. She really is the spitting image of her mother. Seems only fair. Since AC always looked more like Sam, of course Gill should look more like you :)
Oh, I love this post. She is just beautiful and really does look like you. (And what a strange graduation speech.)
Post a Comment
<< Home