Grace Notes

GRACE NOTE: n. in theater, a small gesture, evocative of character. / GRACE: n. unmerited divine favor. / NOTE: 1.v. to observe with care. 2.v. to preserve in writing. 3.n. an informal record.

Wednesday, February 03, 2010

Mortification Free With Wedding-Band Purchase

Email that I received from my dear husband today:

Hey Love -

I've authorized G [a favorite student who is in both of our classes this semester] to have my cell phone number in the event that your water breaks in class. But I can't find my number on my cell phone - remind me to buy a new one - and so, I was hoping you could give it to her in class.

Love you!
S.


Now, I love my husband. And it is a sweet, if incredibly misguided gesture of love that he has arranged to watch out for me and the new baby via the student grapevine. But seriously, it is one thing for me to harbor my private little anxieties, and yet another for my students to be conscripted into watch duty, scrutinizing me not for indications of what is most important about Melville's works, but for signs that I am about to drop a baby in their horrified midst.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Fee said...

Ok. It's possible that I've crossed a line here. But it's Georgia! If anyone is not going to care or embarrass you, its her. But I suppose I should not try to defend this and just take the rebuke with sufficient mollification. Mea Culpa - but I did it for love! Look at that - I did it again...

Wed Feb 03, 01:44:00 PM EST  
Blogger Julie said...

You ARE going to be a legend among your students :)

Wed Feb 03, 02:34:00 PM EST  
Blogger Erin said...

you should devote one class session to a"dry run" :)

Wed Feb 03, 03:13:00 PM EST  
Blogger Yolanda said...

I almost laughed out loud at Erin's comment. A few words of reassurance--most women actually don't have their water break prior to arriving at the hospital, and when it does break, it almost always does at night in bed. Fingers crossed for you, as I know the feeling. My greatest fear was that my water would break in a patient's exam room.

Thu Feb 04, 12:53:00 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home