Grace Notes

GRACE NOTE: n. in theater, a small gesture, evocative of character. / GRACE: n. unmerited divine favor. / NOTE: 1.v. to observe with care. 2.v. to preserve in writing. 3.n. an informal record.

Monday, October 05, 2009

Salience

On Mondays, I come home after class for an hour or two to eat lunch and spend some time with Allison Clare before I head back for a stretch in the office. Today, I had a little errand to run--getting doughnuts for a department meeting to celebrate a friend's birthday. I popped AC into her carseat, and we went to the Krispy Kreme drive-through.

I yelled my selections into the microphone, pulled around, and paid. The attendant handed the box and waxed paper bag through my car window, and then, as we were driving off, I heard a little voice pipe up chirpily from the back of the car, "Yummmm . . . French fries."

Sigh. The child has only visited the McDonald's drive-through once or twice in her entire life, but it clearly made an indelible impression. We go to the farmer's market every week, and does she say, "Yum . . . broccoli"? She does not.

5 Comments:

Blogger Erin said...

Ha! I wonder if there are any other adult members of the family who might take little Allison Claire to the drive through when you are not there?

Wed Oct 07, 01:01:00 AM EDT  
Blogger hermance said...

Oh my goodness, I love this story.

Intentionally or not, you made AC sound a bit like Homer Simpson!

Wed Oct 07, 08:26:00 AM EDT  
Blogger kate said...

ADORABLE.
So, was she disappointed not to get any fries? Or did you feel compelled to roll through another Drive-Thru?

Thu Oct 08, 01:31:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Tara said...

Erin: Good point.

Hermance: Sigh.

Kate: She loves doughnuts ("dough-bums") too, so she was distracted into sugary consolation. The doughnut-loving is my fault entirely though--we've been going to the bakery on Saturdays for little mommy-and-munchkin outings.

Thu Oct 08, 09:55:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Julie said...

And here I thought the doughnut love was all Sam's doing!

Sat Oct 10, 09:31:00 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home