Grace Notes

GRACE NOTE: n. in theater, a small gesture, evocative of character. / GRACE: n. unmerited divine favor. / NOTE: 1.v. to observe with care. 2.v. to preserve in writing. 3.n. an informal record.

Saturday, June 13, 2009

Welcome to the Toddlerdome

We spent last week in the Outer Banks at a lovely house that we rented with my parents. We could see both the ocean to the east and Pamlico Sound to the west from the greatroom at the heart of the house. Courtesy of my parents' eagerness to babysit, Sam and I got to go out almost every day on our own, and Allison Clare learned lots of new things, like that crackers can be eaten on the couch and that when you honk Grandpop's nose, it sounds like it's broken.

Without housework to do, or even much cooking (besides babysitting, my mother also cooked for us on vacation!), I got to take naps when AC took her naps, or read for pleasure, to the extent that I was rested enough that I was even interested in doing some academic reading I had brought along, a state I hadn't experienced in a while. Ahh . . .

But the real point of this post is not to wax nostalgic about our trip; it's to note that Allison Clare has pretty much effected her transformation from infant to toddler. While she still doesn't walk independently (and I wouldn't have been surprised if she didn't start until close to age two, since she didn't crawl until a couple of weeks before her first birthday), she's handily mastered what appears to be the signature achievement of the toddler: the temper tantrum.

It's kind of hilarious, but also exasperating. She wants things exactly the way she wants them: she does not want the puffs from the jar; nor does she want the jar if you are going to hold onto it along with her; she does not want the jar with the lid on it. Nothing will do except to hold the jar without your hand on it, and without the lid, and to shake the open jar of puffs all over the car. When she is thwarted en route to this outcome, she writhes and thrashes in violent seizures of tearful, red-faced rage. Then, within a few minutes, she is smiling and laughing and blowing kisses again, while I am aghast. Her fits are not super-frequent yet, but I have a feeling we will see more of them before we see fewer. The little sinner.

She is also growing stronger, but without a conscience commensurate with her strength. She hit me accidentally in the face with something tonight. It was hard enough that I gasped and said gently, "Allison Clare, you hurt mommy!" She looked at me seriously for a split second, then hit me again. And burst into a big smile and gasped herself, beaming expectantly at me like, "Don't forget that part!"

Living with a toddler, I have decided, is like living with a mostly cheerful, affectionate sociopath.

9 Comments:

Blogger Maura said...

I am laughing so hard. I love that she gasped for you the second time around! :)

Sat Jun 13, 10:08:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like she's training a big sinner.

Ah, the joys. I keep seeing sentences from Anne Lamott's "Operating Instructions" float past my eyes during scream fests, temper tantrums, circus diaper changes and food a la Gallagher.

Mon Jun 15, 12:38:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Julie said...

That Allison Clare -- such a challenge. And such an adorable joy!

Mon Jun 15, 09:47:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Andrew said...

This kind of "acting out" (I say that with all affection for my own toddler) is often precursor/accompaniment to the walking stage, because they're struggling with the new-found feelings of independence that go with that kind of motility. So I would look for the independent, secure walking sooner than you think, Tara. Enjoy--more tantrums/tantrums in motion on the way:).

Mon Jun 15, 11:55:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Erin said...

love the cheerful sociopath image. Nothing a good set of restraints won't solve-- what, they don't sell manacles at Babies R Us?

Mon Jun 15, 07:26:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Noël said...

Jamie thinks it's hilarious when he pulls my hair. I totally get the cheerful sociopath thing.

Tonight I was eating some cereal for dessert and Jamie shared it with me. Until suddenly he wanted my spoon to use to stir up the milk and fling it around. When I said no he shook his head back and forth, faster and faster, saying "no, no, no," then burst into tears. This is what occurred to me when I read the puffs story . . .

Wed Jun 17, 08:40:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Noël said...

Jamie thinks it's hilarious when he pulls my hair. I totally get the cheerful sociopath thing.

Tonight I was eating some cereal for dessert and Jamie shared it with me. Until suddenly he wanted my spoon to use to stir up the milk and fling it around. When I said no he shook his head back and forth, faster and faster, saying "no, no, no," then burst into tears. This is what occurred to me when I read the puffs story . . .

Wed Jun 17, 08:40:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Noël said...

For some reason, I posted that post twice. Sorry.

Wed Jun 17, 08:41:00 PM EDT  
Blogger kate said...

What a great description!!! SO dead on.
I wonder if some of them are more, er, OCD than others. I'm really curious to see if my No. 2 is as much that way as No. 1 ... perhaps it's partly a hallmark of the firstborn? (she said, whistling innocently -- I'm a firstie, as well)

Mon Jun 29, 04:27:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home