Grace Notes

GRACE NOTE: n. in theater, a small gesture, evocative of character. / GRACE: n. unmerited divine favor. / NOTE: 1.v. to observe with care. 2.v. to preserve in writing. 3.n. an informal record.

Sunday, May 24, 2009

Oral Fixation

Things Recently Taken Out of the Mouth of the Babe (or Stopped from Entering)

1. Murphy's Oil bottle
2. Clump of potting soil
3. Countless wood chips
4. Bar of soap
5. Coffee
6. Dustpan
7. Dust bunny
8. Cat's tail
9. Decision-making dice
10. Toothbrush used for cleaning bathroom fixtures
11. Cell phone
12. Spray bottle
13. Barnes & Noble gift card
14. My red clog
15. Stone
16. Mud*

*Successfully swallowed.

This list probably makes me sound like a terrible mother, like we set our toddler down in the middle of cleaning supplies and let her have at the buffet. But it's more like whenever I'm working, I have her on my back or playing with toys in the same room, and she tries to grab whatever I'm using to wedge it into her mouth. She's pretty good about stopping when told no, but she will keep testing--putting down the wood chip I've just forbidden, picking up another one and looking at me inquisitively, waiting to be told no. After this happened about two dozen times, she would just hold the wood chip up to her lips without even opening her mouth, and grin at me. Saucy.

2 Comments:

Blogger Maura said...

I wish I could see her grinning at you to see what you will do. :)

Sun May 24, 10:16:00 AM EDT  
Blogger kate said...

Oh, good heavens. No doubt! I've already told you of Maddie's affection for mud clumps off the bottoms of shoes. (not that such a thing would ever come off MY shoes while worn in the house! Grrrr.)

Tue May 26, 02:55:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home