Grace Notes

GRACE NOTE: n. in theater, a small gesture, evocative of character. / GRACE: n. unmerited divine favor. / NOTE: 1.v. to observe with care. 2.v. to preserve in writing. 3.n. an informal record.

Friday, April 03, 2009

Pear

I bought a pear last weekend, thinking that when it ripened, it would be soft enough for Allison Clare to eat. I squeezed it solemnly and thoughtfully each morning until yesterday, when it seemed perfect: firm, not mushy, and sweet enough to melt away in the mouth. I was so happy that it was ripe, and so delighted when Allison Clare loved the little pieces I cut from it for her to eat with her tiny fingers.

For some reason, thinking about the pear makes me want to cry: it seems like a symbol of the things I do for her with such tender hopes (things I would scorn doing for anyone else . . . "Of course it's ripe, Sam, just eat it, okay?"), and how completely happy I feel when they work out--like it was just the most wonderful thing in the world that the pear was ripe, and the most completely satisfying that she liked it.

Maybe what I should be shedding tears over is how my world has contracted to myself, the fickle tastes of a toddler, and a piece of fruit--and yet, I can't even seem to manage any skeptical distance on my own sappiness.

Has anyone ever noticed how happiness and sappiness are only one letter apart?

JS had better return from Korea soon--I'm clearly losing it by myself over here.

6 Comments:

Blogger hermance said...

You could turn this lovely post into a William Carlos Williams-esque poem!

Sun Apr 05, 02:38:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Julie said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

Mon Apr 06, 07:39:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Julie said...

I'm gone 10 days and you are reduced to this sentimental drivel?!

Mon Apr 06, 07:40:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Yolanda said...

It could be worse. You could purchase the pear, squeeze it daily until it's at the perfect level of ripeness, cut it into pieces for your toddler, and watch her spit it out as if it's the most disgusting thing she's ever tasted. That can definitely bring tears to your eyes. Ah, the fickle tastes of toddlers.

Tue Apr 07, 09:11:00 AM EDT  
Blogger kate said...

You're not alone over here! :)
Yeah. I'm with Yolanda.
And, hey -- I think moments like these are what life is all about. Right??

Tue Apr 07, 01:53:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Tara said...

Thanks, Hermance. Maybe poetry will be my new genre. :)

Julie--I know, I know.

Yolanda--The highs, the lows . . .

Kate--True, true. I'm in the good company of all my blog buddies!

Wed Apr 08, 03:03:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home