Grace Notes

GRACE NOTE: n. in theater, a small gesture, evocative of character. / GRACE: n. unmerited divine favor. / NOTE: 1.v. to observe with care. 2.v. to preserve in writing. 3.n. an informal record.

Friday, April 17, 2009

The Moral of the Story

AC is getting greedy, and smart. She likes to pull her little wagon wheel cookies out of their jar herself, and has discovered that the key to maximizing her cookie intake (so her father's child!) is to grab more than one when they are first offered. She fumbles around intently until she has a good grasp on as many as she can encircle with her little fist. Julie says she is like the monkey in that old story.

I told Sam about this comparison this morning. He wasn't familiar with the tale, so I told him about it--how the monkey would rather starve with his hand stuck in the bottle than let go of his big handful, ending with "I think it's maybe one of Aesop's fables or something."

But no, he objected, deep in thought, it couldn't have been Aesop because they didn't have bottles in Greece at that time.

Sighing, I conceded it could have been a narrow-necked jar.

"Oh," he said, "now, that's possible."

I am married to such a nerd.

2 Comments:

Blogger kate said...

I was laughing at just the A.C. part of the story, but the Sam bit is truly priceless.
They're both so cute!

Fri Apr 17, 12:07:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Aaron said...

That last statement is so incredibly true! It sounds like an argument I would attempt to make...

Fri Apr 17, 11:49:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home