Grace Notes

GRACE NOTE: n. in theater, a small gesture, evocative of character. / GRACE: n. unmerited divine favor. / NOTE: 1.v. to observe with care. 2.v. to preserve in writing. 3.n. an informal record.

Monday, March 30, 2009

We Are Pleased to Announce

. . . that to celebrate her 13-month birthday, Allison Clare resumed a long-forgotten tradition of sleeping through the night.

Two weeks ago, at her one-year pediatrician's appointment, we got the all-clear to drop her night feedings. Her small size (10-15 percentile) had gotten her an extended grace period on those, but by now, all of us--AC, Sam, me, and even the cat I think--were ready to drop the night feedings. We went to CT for a few days right after the appointment, and then she got sick, postponing things by a bit. I was glad I was still nursing her at that point since she had lost interest in food and drink, so at least this way she was getting some fluids. But still, I was biding my time.

Then this past Friday night, she woke up twice in quick succession, and the second time, nursing wasn't really an option. She screamed for an hour and twenty minutes. Seriously: standing in her crib in the 3 a.m. dark, screaming at the top of her lungs in total, frantic, bloodcurdling rage. Nothing consoled her, but she finally wore herself out and surrendered to sleep. Saturday night, she woke up twice, screamed for 40 minutes the first time, and just cried for 5 minutes the next time. And last night, she slept through, crying a couple of times in her sleep but basically going all the way through to 7:45 a.m.

Weirdly, I slept worse last night than ever in a long time--I was totally wired. I had noticed that nursing her at night gave me a sudden feeling of drowsiness (oxytocin, I guess?), so it's been nice to have a little natural sleep aid . . . but I'll definitely take the trade-off in unbroken hours.

2 Comments:

Blogger kate said...

Wait a minute ... you just ... stopped feeding her in the middle of the night? And that ... "took"?
Hmmmm. Our daughter was in the latter stages of 2 before she stopped taking milk in the middle of the night. If then?
This is a concept that had not even occurred to me.
Then again ... yeah, apartment living puts a different cast on things. (you aren't the only ones to suffer through the screaming!)
Something to keep in mind now that we're on round 2, and have our own home. :) Well done, Fees!

Thu Apr 02, 02:11:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Tara said...

Kate, I find your comment immensely comforting. I really thought AC might be the latest baby in the modern world to stop feeding at night. :) But yes, in an apartment, all bets are off!

Thu Apr 02, 07:59:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home