Grace Notes

GRACE NOTE: n. in theater, a small gesture, evocative of character. / GRACE: n. unmerited divine favor. / NOTE: 1.v. to observe with care. 2.v. to preserve in writing. 3.n. an informal record.

Monday, March 09, 2009

Humane Society

The other day, Holly strolled over to lie down by Allison Clare in a gesture of what I think of as marvelous tolerance on the cat's part; even under our watchful eyes, AC's love pats often turn into gleeful slaps, vigorous pinches, and in-kitty's-face screeches without so much as a warning.   And in fact, Allison Clare lightly pet the cat as we've taught her, but quick-as-a-heartbeat reached over to wrench Holly closer by twisting that tender part of the cat's inner haunch where the hip connects to the body.  

My poor, gentle cat looked startled and frantic, and for one alarmed millisecond, neither the cat nor I knew exactly what was going to happen.  I saw her paw shoot out for a second--near Allison Clare's precious cheek--and then Holly had writhed away.  

And then my inspection confirmed that that sweet cat had not even put out her claws in her effort to push away and escape, as if behind her frantic eyes, her little kitty brain had been thinking "How do I get myself away without hurting the baby?"

1 Comments:

Blogger Julie said...

What a sweet, sweet kitty. If only Jane will turn out to be so tolerant toward Sinjin! But I think she will need to be watched quite carefully.

Wed Mar 11, 02:46:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home