Yum!
AC has added one more word to her repertoire: "Yum." This single syllable has surprised us all with its versatility. It first appeared one day as I was absently chattering to her, my back to her as I mixed applesauce into her oatmeal, and I said, "It's almost ready--yum-yum-yum." And from over by her high chair, I heard a little voice say, "Yum-yum-yum." It was startling to hear her talk back to me, as I've gotten totally used to narrating what I'm doing without expecting an actual response . . . she does make little babbling and "jargoning" sounds, but usually just on her own.
So, anyway, since then, "yum" has made several entertaining appearances:
I didn't know she understood "getting hungry" until I said to her, absently again, "Are you getting hungry by now? You must be getting hungry by now!" and she surprised me by singing back, "Yum yum yum!"
And when it gets toward snack time, or if she is sitting in her high chair and sees food being prepared but hasn't received any yet, she furrows her brow and lets out anxious little bleats of "yum? . . . yum?"
She also spied her favorite snacks on the grocery store shelf, and announced their presence with a frantic "Yum! Yum!"
My favorite, by far, was when I was nursing her, and as I moved her from one side to the other, she smiled over at me and said contentedly, "yum yum yum."
4 Comments:
Ohhh, Tara. That is beyond adorable. And I love your descriptions of the word in its contextual use!
I hope I get to meet the little darling one day.
I especially love the grocery store yum yums. It seems so enthusiastic and joyful.
So very sweet! And I agree that the Yum Yum while breastfeeding must have been the sweetest of all. It is so wonderful to get these first little attempts at verbal communication. It's a special glimpse into very active minds.
just stopping by to say hello
Post a Comment
<< Home