Grace Notes

GRACE NOTE: n. in theater, a small gesture, evocative of character. / GRACE: n. unmerited divine favor. / NOTE: 1.v. to observe with care. 2.v. to preserve in writing. 3.n. an informal record.

Sunday, January 25, 2009

Why I Can't Get to Bed Earlier

It's 10:18. The dinner dishes have been washed and the kitchen is clean; the last load of laundry is finishing in the basement while the others have been folded and sorted. Allison Clare is sleeping soundly upstairs; Sam is entertaining himself with World of Warcraft and his high school friends and their, um, guild; and I've finished one syllabus for the start of spring classes on Wednesday.  It's just me, the cat, my chocolate sundae, and a pile of magazines/my laptop/unilateral control of the TiVo remote. I should go to bed right this minute so that when Allison Clare wakes up, I won't want to plead and bargain for it to be untrue that it's time to get up . . . but I just can't manage to give up this time.

I think it's because since we've had AC, our lives have been quite boring and routinized ("Hey guys, we can go out to dinner, but we'll have to slip out by 6:00 so we can put AC down to bed by 6:30 . . .), yet simultaneously fraught with constant risk and vacillation between disappointment and triumph ("What are the chances we'll make it through dinner before she starts shrieking joyfully?").  It constantly feels like we're just managing to pull something off, which has had the effect of making me more of a planner (more eventualities to accommodate all the time) and more adaptable ("Oh well, maybe next time") at the same time.  It's made me grateful for moments like this, whenever they come; when the house is settled for the night, I appreciate its quietude all the more.

3 Comments:

Blogger Julie said...

It had a minor role in your post, but I was riveted by the words: chocolate sundae.

Mon Jan 26, 11:34:00 AM EST  
Blogger kate said...

Julie -- HA!
I feel ya, Tara! I am mostly content to go back and forth between going to bed responsibly early, and staying up to late(ish) to check e-mail or watch a DVR-ed show or something similarly slightly irresponsible, time-wise. But that's about all I aspire to, these days!
P.S.: Your kid has a 6:30 bedtime? Huh???

Mon Jan 26, 12:24:00 PM EST  
Blogger Tara said...

Julie: I've said it before, and I'll say it again: If only we lived closer!

Kate: I know--it's crazy. But she's totally exhausted by then, so what can you do? ;)

Fri Jan 30, 11:46:00 AM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home