Grace Notes

GRACE NOTE: n. in theater, a small gesture, evocative of character. / GRACE: n. unmerited divine favor. / NOTE: 1.v. to observe with care. 2.v. to preserve in writing. 3.n. an informal record.

Friday, January 30, 2009

It's My Potty and I'll Try If I Want To . . .

You probably don't want to read this, but it is so much of what passes for excitement at our house these days. You know what, don't read it. Unless you actually like gratuitous mommyblogging. And then you can read it, but don't judge me. Or go ahead--I've given in, so what do I care?

Deep breath, here goes: Allison Clare successfully used the potty . . . twice.

We are not crazy potty-train-before-one-year people, but I'd bought a potty seat because I thought it might be more comfortable for AC to sit on when she is rather obviously, uncomfortably, and unselfconsciously (read: loudly) attempting to do what one does not normally do while sitting on a flat surface. I put her on the potty during one of these . . . episodes, and to my surprise, while she did not do what I expected (#2--apparently a false alarm), she seemed to know the purpose of the apparatus (#1). I tried again this morning when she woke up, and she did it again.

My grandmother used to tell with some pride a story about my mother, called On Her First Birthday, She Wore Silk Panties. I had my doubts about whether it could be true, but now I suspect that my grandmother must have just put her baby on the potty frequently enough that she considered her "potty trained." Will AC follow in her grandmother's footsteps? I don't think so, largely because I don't think we're committed enough to get her on the potty every hour. But it would, after all, bring new meaning to the words "granny panties."

2 Comments:

Blogger Yolanda said...

Wow! I'm completely amazed. There's no way Lydia has enough awareness of what is supposed to happen on the potty that she could actually use it appropriately. The closest she has come to urinary regularity is the fact that she pees on the floor if I make her wait too long before I put her in the tub :)

Fri Jan 30, 01:22:00 PM EST  
Blogger Julie said...

It's very impressive. This makes up for other coordination-challenges. After all, it is definitely a coordination matter.

Fri Jan 30, 04:40:00 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home