Grace Notes

GRACE NOTE: n. in theater, a small gesture, evocative of character. / GRACE: n. unmerited divine favor. / NOTE: 1.v. to observe with care. 2.v. to preserve in writing. 3.n. an informal record.

Monday, December 01, 2008

Dispatches from Vanity Fair

So this morning, on a whim, I pulled out some foundation that I had bought for our wedding and daubed it on.  When I stepped back from the mirror, I was almost dismayed to see the pronounced improvement, as it highlighted the obvious need for more radical cosmetic interventions with my advancing age. 

I grew up in New Jersey during a period of time when the mall look had peaked nationwide (later, when the rest of the country was to move on, NJ would remain true to its 1980s commitments).  From there, I went straight to a college that could have originated the lumberjack-grunge look of the 1990s, so I grew out my bangs, stopped wearing makeup, and acquired a number of flannel shirts.  

Having stayed in academia, I never picked the makeup habit back up, even when I graduated from college and started purchasing clothes that actually fit, and required ironing.  When you're young, going without make-up can just seem fresh-faced, but I fear the day has arrived when I can no longer pull it off.  Now I am faced with a choice: continue my low-maintenance ways and accept the compromises of age, or begin what I am certain will become the first steps in an ever-more-complicated routine against the inevitable.  Sigh!

3 Comments:

Blogger Maura said...

Don't give in! You have a lovely face! plus makeup is such a pain... when I used to wear it regularly (granted, that was back in high school!) I always felt so unfinished and ugly when I didn't wear it. What about just lipstick/gloss and mascara? That is my happy compromise.

Mon Dec 01, 09:58:00 PM EST  
Blogger Julie said...

It used to be that there was only one gray hair that glinted in the mirror under the unforgiving bathroom lights. Like me, it reproduced. But it had multiples.

Tue Dec 02, 06:58:00 PM EST  
Blogger Yolanda said...

I love your description of our college attire--it was dead on. My college wardrobe was so awful that I really had to start from scratch once I got to medical school. I remained makeup free for a long time, but I've succumbed. It really doesn't have to take very long--I don't do any foundation, but a little coverup under my eyes has become a necessity since Lydia arrived, and a little bronzer, a tiny bit of blush, and lipgloss work wonders for me.

My hair requires more work too. So much gray. I've become reconciled to 10-week visits with my stylist for a cut and color. It's sad to get older, but I personally think I look better than I did in college. All that flannel was not flattering at ALL!!!

Fri Dec 05, 04:08:00 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home