Joy of Church Fellowship, Rightly Attended*
*apologies to Edward Taylor
Since we've had Allison Clare, our church attendance has been the lowest in my life since the old blueberry-picking days. She cries loudly enough in the nursery that the trained ear can hear her in the service, so we had been keeping her with us until she recently developed a new habit of shrieking randomly, whether out of joy, pain, existential angst, or some eureka moment known only to herself. We take turns walking her, out in the lobby where she's quieter and we can still hear the sermon, but it does take away from the whole experience in that one feels like a spectator--barely. And I've always felt that what's important about the sermon is not the information presented (after 34 years in church, it's rarely something completely novel), but rather the way the speaker makes that information salient, and the way that I can give myself over to absorbing its truths into my life. That's hard to do while shushing a squirmy baby in the lobby.
Further complicating matters, Allison Clare naps at 10 every morning for about an hour and ten minutes and the service is exactly then. She can be coaxed to drop off for a few minutes in the service, but there's always occasional applause as announcements are made, songs or video, etc., that wakes her up within a few minutes. I really don't like making her skip naps because I've become persuaded that they are a biological need (in the same way that I wouldn't make her skip a meal). This morning, she woke up early and was very tired as I was getting ready for church, and I ended up deciding not to go because I wanted her to have a good nap. She slept for over two hours, and I have to admit, I was glad that I let her sleep, even though I was sorry to miss church.
So, the long and short of it is that I'm really not sure what to do. It's not just a practical question, but a spiritual one too. I feel that having Allison Clare, it's all the more urgent that my life be centered around the worship of Christ, and that I be attuned to how he might be leading me, because I have a little one to lead in turn (it was equally important before I think, but I feel that spiritual responsibility very strongly now, which I think is a good thing). I'm okay with sitting out of more church services than I'm used to if I should in order to take good care of my baby, but I also don't want to be unwise about it . . . I do believe that our closeness with God is always either waxing or waning, and while that doesn't mean it always looks the same, it does mean, to me, that we should safeguard it with a bit of fear and trembling . . . because it's precious.
I'd be interested in hearing from any of you out there on this, especially (but not exclusively, since a broader perspective can help too) those who have had little ones in church. Thanks!
28 Comments:
Once again, I feel for you.
When Lizzy was an infant, I was in a church (Dotty and Ms. Duh/Nuh-Uh know what I'm talking about) that met in a church basement -- meaning, just one big room -- and there were zero other children in attendance. So I walked around the edges of the room, trying to keep that balance between straining to hear what was being said/still be a part of things, and trying not to impede others' enjoyment of the experience. It was pretty miserable. My shoulders would be quite sore from the weight of the baby in the Bjorn, and I'd seriously wonder why I was bothering, I got so little from it. Not good days.
I guess my encouragement is the blanket new-parent one of, it's just a stage. It, too, will pass. I think at that stage, you're drawing near to God in really hands-on ways, which are different, and in some ways feel more distant and less nourishing, but you're serving your baby, and God's sooo in the midst of that. I suspect you'll have to make do with little spiritual scraps for awhile, to get you through, and soon you'll be able to resume nice big, full meals.
That was my experience, anyway.
I know it's not nearly the same, but I see that a lot of churches do podcasts these days and put them on their Web sites. If yours doesn't, maybe you can find one you like that does, and listen to it in your more convenient moments, for a 'quick hit' of spiritual nourishment?
Thank the Lord for children's church, in the years to come. :)
diazepam without prescription cheap-diazepam.co.uk - diazepam 10 mg efectos colaterales
ativan 2mg ativan dosage and side effects - ativan
diazepam without a prescription buy diazepam usa no prescription - diazepam valium online
ambien online ambien and pregnancy - ambien generic pictures
generic valium how does valium high feel - buy generic valium online no prescription
diazepam diazepam 2 mg tabletki - buy diazepam online usa
valium generic valium side effects respiratory - valium for sale australia
order xanax xanax bars green pill - what is xanax 2mg for
buy xanax online overnight delivery xanax withdrawal using klonopin - where can i buy xanax bars online
valium diazepam diazepam-ratiopharm 10 mg tabletten beipackzettel - diazepam dose in eclampsia
ativan mg can you buy lorazepam online - ativan overdose prognosis
xanax mg xanax 2 mg daily - buy xanax no prescription from canada
ambien price cheap generic ambien no prescription - ambien cr price walmart
buy soma online order watson soma online - carisoprodol 350 mg overdose
ambien medication buy ambien no prescription needed - ambien side effects paranoia
valium medication valium 2mg high - valium - 10 mg buy online
Hello, azithromycin without rx - buy cheap zithromax http://www.zithromaxonlineprice.com/#buy-cheap-zithromax
Friends, prozac online - buy prozac http://www.prozaccheaponline.net/#buy-prozac , [url=http://www.prozaccheaponline.net/#prozac-cost ]prozac cost [/url]
6, order provigil - cheap provigil online http://www.provigilonlinediscount.com/#provigil-online-order, [url=http://www.provigilonlinediscount.com/#provigil-without-prescription]provigil without prescription[/url]
ooo!!! Topamax Online - order topamax http://www.topamaxbestonline.net/#topamax-cost, [url=http://www.topamaxbestonline.net/#topamax-cost]Buy Topamax[/url]
2, finasteride online - generic finasteride http://www.propeciasaleonline.net/#propecia-sale, [url=http://www.propeciasaleonline.net/#finasteride-online]finasteride online[/url]
11, [url=http://mediati.org/]Order Carisoprodol[/url] - Cheap Carisoprodol - soma sale http://mediati.org/ .
Youг own гeport offers verified helрful to me perѕonally.
It’s rеally educatіonal and you're simply naturally quite experienced in this area. You have got exposed my own eye in order to varying thoughts about this matter together with intriquing, notable and sound written content.
Here is my weblog - kokchapress.net
The rеport offerѕ ѵerifіеd beneficial to
myѕеlf. It’ѕ quite uѕeful
аnd уоu аre obviously νery
ωell-infoгmed in thіs field. You haѵe gοt eхposeԁ mу perѕonаl faсe for you to vaгious
thoughts about thіs particulаr topic uѕing intrіguing аnd solid сontent material.
My page buy viagra
The article has proven beneficial tο mе perѕonаlly.
It’s extremely informative and you really are obviously very educated in this region.
Υou posѕess opened my οωn sight to be able to ѵarуing views on this kinԁ of toρic
using intriguing and reliable wrіtten content.
Feel free to surf my blog post - ambien
Your currеnt report οffers proѵen useful to myself.
It’ѕ ехtremely useful аnd
you're simply clearly quite knowledgeable in this field. You possess exposed my personal sight in order to different opinion of this kind of topic with intriguing, notable and solid written content.
Feel free to visit my weblog Buy Ambien
Greetings! Very helpful advice inn thhis particular post!
It is the little changes that produce the most
important changes. Thanks for sharing!
Have a look at my homepage: propecia
Post a Comment
<< Home