Grace Notes

GRACE NOTE: n. in theater, a small gesture, evocative of character. / GRACE: n. unmerited divine favor. / NOTE: 1.v. to observe with care. 2.v. to preserve in writing. 3.n. an informal record.

Monday, September 08, 2008

Old Man Humor

Toting Allison Clare around in public, I've noticed something: the elderly love babies. Everywhere we go, they crane their necks to see into the baby carrier and peer at Allison Clare. One day I walked down the grocery store aisle with her and passed one old lady, who shouted to her friend further down the way, "Francine, look out--don't miss this beautiful baby that's coming!" Another time, while checking out, a lady (not so old this time) said, "Your baby is so beautiful I think I might cry."

What's been especially surprising to me is how much old men love babies. At the grocery store (it's always the grocery store), old men practically follow us up and down the aisles, grinning. And they make old men jokes. "Doesn't that baby have a job?" Or as I push AC around in the cart: "Ya know--they passed a law. She's got to push you next time!" Guffawing, they slap their knees and shuffle off, their pants pulled endearingly up to their armpits.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home