Foodways
Going back to work has seriously limited my blogging time--how tragic. But I've learned that my mother-in-law checks in (Hi Brenda!), so I figure I owe her some baby updates . . .
Allison Clare tasted her first rice cereal while we were on vacation a few weeks ago, and she slurped it right up. So, a few days later, for her six-month birthday, we tried some string beans, which I had gotten at the farmer's market and pureed. She opened her mouth up eagerly, we slid the spoon in, and then--
The look on her face was first shock, then disgust, and finally violation. She gamely opened back up for several spoonfuls, but it was clear that each time, she was horrified to find more green beans on the spoon. I suspect that I didn't cook them long enough--they were still a little crisp, making them yummier for adults but probably too firm even when pureed, for those whose diets have been comprised almost entirely of milk.
So, our next food was sweet potatoes. These she likes better, and thankfully, her eating of solid foods has coincided with my return to work. Her solid food consumption lets Sam hold her off for an hour or two longer until I can get home on my two longer mornings (as I've mentioned before, I haven't been able to pump successfully for the last couple of months--no "let-down" reflex).
They are doing very well together; Sam has weathered a couple of diaper storms, and eagerly gives me his meteorological report when I get home. It's funny to see how many outfits Allison Clare has been through in a couple of hours between diaper emergencies and sweet potato explosions, and to know that Sam has manfully attempted to keep her clothed for my sake (he personally would rather let her hang out in a diaper and undershirt--and why not?--but does his best to dress her in actual clothes for my benefit I think).
And for me, the return to work has been fine. I get up with Allison Clare, then Sam is with her for 2 to 3 1/2 hours while I'm in class, and I take over for the afternoons, doing as much work as I can with her on my lap or nearby, or napping. And two days a week we have a babysitter for a few hours later in the day so that I can go to meetings and have office hours. At school, I have two really good classes, which makes me happy to be there, and as soon as I walk out, I'm buoyed by the knowledge that Sam and Allison Clare will be sitting on the front porch waiting for me when I arrive home. It's exhausting going back and forth twice a day on a very strict schedule as I do on some days, and when I get home at the end of the day, cooking and cleaning and lesson planning await, but if I can be very disciplined and super-organized, and if we don't have any crises, we may all just survive this semester!
Allison Clare tasted her first rice cereal while we were on vacation a few weeks ago, and she slurped it right up. So, a few days later, for her six-month birthday, we tried some string beans, which I had gotten at the farmer's market and pureed. She opened her mouth up eagerly, we slid the spoon in, and then--
The look on her face was first shock, then disgust, and finally violation. She gamely opened back up for several spoonfuls, but it was clear that each time, she was horrified to find more green beans on the spoon. I suspect that I didn't cook them long enough--they were still a little crisp, making them yummier for adults but probably too firm even when pureed, for those whose diets have been comprised almost entirely of milk.
So, our next food was sweet potatoes. These she likes better, and thankfully, her eating of solid foods has coincided with my return to work. Her solid food consumption lets Sam hold her off for an hour or two longer until I can get home on my two longer mornings (as I've mentioned before, I haven't been able to pump successfully for the last couple of months--no "let-down" reflex).
They are doing very well together; Sam has weathered a couple of diaper storms, and eagerly gives me his meteorological report when I get home. It's funny to see how many outfits Allison Clare has been through in a couple of hours between diaper emergencies and sweet potato explosions, and to know that Sam has manfully attempted to keep her clothed for my sake (he personally would rather let her hang out in a diaper and undershirt--and why not?--but does his best to dress her in actual clothes for my benefit I think).
And for me, the return to work has been fine. I get up with Allison Clare, then Sam is with her for 2 to 3 1/2 hours while I'm in class, and I take over for the afternoons, doing as much work as I can with her on my lap or nearby, or napping. And two days a week we have a babysitter for a few hours later in the day so that I can go to meetings and have office hours. At school, I have two really good classes, which makes me happy to be there, and as soon as I walk out, I'm buoyed by the knowledge that Sam and Allison Clare will be sitting on the front porch waiting for me when I arrive home. It's exhausting going back and forth twice a day on a very strict schedule as I do on some days, and when I get home at the end of the day, cooking and cleaning and lesson planning await, but if I can be very disciplined and super-organized, and if we don't have any crises, we may all just survive this semester!
2 Comments:
What a lucky little girl to have parents who have been able to work out a routine in which she's with (at least) one of them almost all the time! (does my jealousy show too too blatantly?)
Seriously, that's awesome. I hear you about the restrictiveness and exhaustion, but what a wonderful gift you're giving her. And, I suppose, yourselves.
Yeah, we realize we're pretty lucky because even though it's frenetic sometimes, we're able to pull off this thing that is what we really wanted to do . . .
Post a Comment
<< Home