Grace Notes

GRACE NOTE: n. in theater, a small gesture, evocative of character. / GRACE: n. unmerited divine favor. / NOTE: 1.v. to observe with care. 2.v. to preserve in writing. 3.n. an informal record.

Thursday, June 19, 2008

Plagiocephaly

I give up. I think my baby is just going to have a head that is flat in back. It was really sweetly curved when she was born, but both her dad and I have flat heads in back, so maybe it's her genetic destiny. Spending 80% of her life asleep on her back cannot help. Yeah yeah yeah--all the tummy time in the world will not make up for that. And no, she is not going to do "helmet therapy" . . . they (the Internet) have got to be kidding!

4 Comments:

Blogger Julie said...

You could always decide that beauty outweighs certain risks -- like my brother & his wife!

Thu Jun 19, 03:51:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Yolanda said...

This was one benefit of Lydia sleeping in my arms--her head is not flat in back. And now that she's in her crib she rolls onto her side. I read a news report a few months ago discussing this problem. Since Back to Sleep became the norm, helmet therapy has become almost common...

Fri Jun 20, 03:46:00 PM EDT  
Blogger kate said...

Those poor helmeted infants. I feel for them.

Fri Jun 20, 05:12:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Andrew said...

My sister's son has a flat head in back and helmet therapy was recommended to them--which they rejected. He's 10 now and you can't tell at all.

Mon Jun 23, 09:25:00 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home