Cloth Diapering
Before Allison Clare was born, if I happened to mention that I was thinking of cloth diapering, people most commonly responded with an exasperated roll of the eyes, as if I'd implied criticism of disposables (not intended). Older people would tell me about how the cloth diapers they used on their kids always leaked, and how they used to stick themselves with diaper pins all the time. I always wanted to say, "Well, the thing is, I'm not cloth diapering back in time . . ." Because the cloth diapers of today are way nicer and easier to use than the ones that my mom used on me (and I, in turn, used on my Cabbage Patch Kid back in 1985).
Disposables don't seem more wasteful than, for example, food packaging (which does bug me, but I live with it). In fact, I use disposables when we're traveling, or if all the cloth are in the wash. If I lived where water was scarce, I would probably use disposables all the time because a load of cloth diapers requires two washes and an extra rinse. But since water is more easily available and renewable than trees around here, I don't mind that part. I like that they are made to last--I don't really like the idea of single-use stuff in general, as a matter of taste more than environmentalism.
I wish I could say it was my environmentalist mores, but it's the cuteness factor that really gets me. The fact is, I just like the cloth diapers so much more. The ones I use work exactly like disposables, except you wash them. They have a super-soft inside that wicks moisture away, and an outside layer that is both breathable and waterproof. The leg openings have elastic gussets, and the stretchy tabs adjust to Allison Clare's little round belly and close with Velcro. In her case, they fit much better than disposable diapers, which always seemed to bag out in the crotch and slide down her tummy, sagging around the hips and leaking when they slipped around. The cloth are cozy and snug on her little bottom, and they seem wholesome and sweet somehow.
The care isn't bad. It takes about 5 minutes a couple of times a week to put them into the washer, and I just need to allow a little longer for an extra cycle. And no, I don't have to swirl them in the toilet--people always ask about that. Babies don't produce solids until they eat solid food, and for later, there are flushable liners for the diaper. You just dump them, with any solids, into the toilet, and proceed with the wash. So, anyway, the diapers come out of the dryer ready to go, along with the cloth wipes that I use because they're easier than paper--you just drop the used wipe in the dirty diaper the way you do with disposables and throw it all in the diaper pail. Prior to use, I put the wipes in a solution of water and witch hazel in a regular wipes container. Actually, they do a much better job of cleaning up than the flimsier paper wipes, so that has been a pleasant benefit too.
So it takes a few minutes more a couple of times a week, but then, using them has allowed us to stop changing Allison Clare's diaper at night, which has helped with her sleeping. We use a heavier diaper for overnights, which has a pocket and a heavier insert. For the first baby, I think the cost comes out to be similar to disposables when you factor in buying these diapers (cheaper cloth options are out there) and then the water and electricity. But with subsequent babies, we'll already have all of our gear.
And who can argue with cuteness like this? 
Punk-rock hair not included. ;)
4 Comments:
NO ONE can argue with cuteness like that!!! so so sweet.
I LOVE that you are cloth diapering!
That is the cutest thing ever. Where do you get your cloth wipes? Same place?
Andrew: Yes, same site: cottonbabies.com
Post a Comment
<< Home