Grace Notes

GRACE NOTE: n. in theater, a small gesture, evocative of character. / GRACE: n. unmerited divine favor. / NOTE: 1.v. to observe with care. 2.v. to preserve in writing. 3.n. an informal record.

Monday, May 12, 2008

Polling the Audience

So, anybody got any ideas for a sixth book? Twentieth century, American, good read?

7 Comments:

Blogger Paul said...

Baldwin, Giovanni's Room
Morrison, Beloved
Faulkner, The Sound and the Fury
Heller, Catch-22

(Can you tell I'm brainstorming to choose books for my fall 1900 to present American lit class?)

Mon May 12, 10:18:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Tara said...

Paul--Hello! Good to hear from you. Are you teaching those four?

Mon May 12, 10:42:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Paul said...

I'm definitely doing Morrison (it's my department's common text for one of the other classes I'm teaching). The Baldwin is too racy for my school. I want to do Faulkner but think it might be too hard (As I Lay Dying might be more accessible). And Heller is someone I've been meaning to read but haven't yet. I think there's a movie version of Catch-22 that make it worth having novel-to-film adaptation discussions at the end of the semester (to go along with Beloved). There's also a slew of Edith Wharton novels that seem to go over well with undergrads though I haven't taught any before. (I'd probably go with Age of Innocence and do a movie comparison, too!)

Here's my list of "likely" or "definitely" texts so far:

Short stories:
Cather, "Paul's Case"
Hemingway, "Hills Like White Elephants"
Viramontes, "Cariboo Cafe"
Yamamoto, "Yoneko's Earthquake"
Carver, "What We Talk About When We Talk About Love"
O'Brien, "The Things They Carried"

Plays:
Williams, The Glass Menagerie

Novels:
Morrison, Beloved

Poetry:
TS Eliot
Gertrude Stein
Langston Hughes
WC Williams
Wallace Stevens
Elizabeth Bishop
Adrienne Rich

Non-fiction:
Baldwin, The Fire Next Time

I'm having a hard time choosing another novel or two. :P

Tue May 13, 12:07:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Julie said...

How about The Fountainhead?

Tue May 13, 12:44:00 PM EDT  
Blogger About the artist said...

Mark Helprin, A Soldier of the Great War

(beating Anjuli to the punch)

Tue May 13, 02:00:00 PM EDT  
Blogger kate said...

"Possession," by A.S. Byatt
"The Brothers K," by David James Duncan

I can't recall what teaching points they'd include, exactly; only that I enjoyed them immensely.

Tue May 13, 04:52:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Erin said...

Tara, I think our reading tastes are pretty parallel, I think I have nearly all those books you mentioned on my personal shelf...

two possibilities that come to mind:
E. Annie Proulx, The Shipping News,
Don Dellilo, White Noise or Underworld

Some other authors that come to mind that I haven't necessarily read in awhile, or extensively: Louise Erdrich, Joan Didion, Susan Sontag, Cormac McCarthy, Amy Tan

Fri May 16, 06:08:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home