Grace Notes

GRACE NOTE: n. in theater, a small gesture, evocative of character. / GRACE: n. unmerited divine favor. / NOTE: 1.v. to observe with care. 2.v. to preserve in writing. 3.n. an informal record.

Saturday, May 03, 2008

Boring

I'm finding it embarrassingly difficult these days to have non-baby-related thoughts. I have totally become a cliche. A while back, I even tried waiting to post until I had a thought about something else, and all that happened was that days passed until Pi emailed me to say "No posts. What gives?"

There are a number of reasons for this problem, the main one of which is that I don't have a lot else going on. Last week I arranged a public reading, which meant work requests and catering and publicity and coordinating arrival details. And I'm in charge of the reading panels for the current issue of our peer-reviewed journal, and the comments are all coming in this week to be collated and sent to the editor. Next week I'm evaluating a seminar for our department. But truly, even when those things take up some of my time, they don't get much of a mindshare apart from the actual execution.

And in the meantime, I have whole hosts of things to mull over that first came onto the scene while I was pregnant. At one point, I realized I had probably spent 40 hours researching strollers, and acknowledged that I was indeed becoming completely boring. Nobody else could possibly care about the outcome of this decision, and those 40 hours were obviously spent not thinking about anything of broader significance.

Or diapers. Cloth versus disposable, and which make and model of cloth? I settled on these and adore them, though the new ones look even better (a rare all-in-one, one-size-fits-all option, plus a fast-drying feature!!!), if heartstoppingly expensive. See, the !!! and "heartstopping" should show you how my world has contracted.

The one seed of hope I have found is that although I have become boring myself, I remain keenly interested in the baby-free doings of my friends . . .

3 Comments:

Blogger Maura said...

None of this is boring. Write about it all you want - I didn't even know diapers like that existed, and they look pretty amazing (even to someone who doesn't have a baby and isn't pregnant!). And 40 plus hours on strollers isn't all that much - those things are expensive and they are carrying precious cargo. This is all cool stuff, and just think about how fleeting it all is - you won't be thinking about diapers soon enough - it will be something else. I was just thinking today about how much there is to learn about the world, both on a macro and micro level - it's all exciting, even if it is the little minutiae of everyday life. At least that's my two cents. :) And there is something really awesome about the fact that so many people have had similar thoughts and debates and discoveries before, again and again and again. There is a new little PERSON at your house! Of course everything revolves around that! :)

Sat May 03, 11:38:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Julie said...

Ah. . . I fear this decline myself. At least we'll be able to keep each other company, when everyone else will find us too boring to do so.

Mon May 05, 07:46:00 AM EDT  
Blogger kate said...

I find it all quite interesting! Much more so than the mention of work-related things!

But perhaps I'm not entirely objective. :)

I'm soooo looking forward to seeing Julie in the same boat. Yay for mommies!

Mon May 05, 03:11:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home