Grace Notes

GRACE NOTE: n. in theater, a small gesture, evocative of character. / GRACE: n. unmerited divine favor. / NOTE: 1.v. to observe with care. 2.v. to preserve in writing. 3.n. an informal record.

Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Canned

Canned peas are so wholly unlike fresh peas that they should be required to be sold under a different name. But then, some foods are not at all like their fresh selves when preserved, and yet are wonderful as entirely distinct canned entities: canned corn, canned peaches, jarred applesauce.

1 Comments:

Blogger kate said...

I'm totally with you on this. We ate canned fruit and veggies when I was a kid, and it was mostly utterly foul. I'll never forget the stringy canned grapes that were in the fruit cocktail.

But the home-canned stuff -- as you say, peaches, for instance -- was better than candy.

All in all, hooray for frozen veggies!

Fri Apr 18, 03:30:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home