Grace Notes

GRACE NOTE: n. in theater, a small gesture, evocative of character. / GRACE: n. unmerited divine favor. / NOTE: 1.v. to observe with care. 2.v. to preserve in writing. 3.n. an informal record.

Saturday, April 12, 2008

AC's Week in Review

6 new fat folds: upper thighs, wrists, and of course beneath the (double!) chin. And elbow dimples. I can't help but feel proud.

First sign of mobility. She scootches around in her bassinet. I haven't seen it, but she's definitely in a different position sometimes than when I put her down. This means I can't leave her lying around places like I used to (kidding, Sam!).

First day of work. She went with me for a couple of my advising appointments. We had a serious conversation about office etiquette ahead of time, but overhearing details of American lit course offerings put her right to sleep. My students were excited to see her because I had had them in class before I got married and then when I was pregnant, life changes they apparently followed quite avidly.

First trip to Barnes and Noble. Yes, she was more interested in staring at the brown wall than the books, but it's a start.

First daylong outing requiring public feeding. Thank goodness for unattended dressing rooms is all I have to say.

First real smile. We've been getting these little comfort smiles a lot forever, but this one was really joyous: enormous bright eyes, and her mouth looked like she was laughing. It was all like sudden starshine.

3 Comments:

Blogger About the artist said...

For a sec, I thought you were counting the new fat folds on yourself.

Sun Apr 13, 11:21:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Julie said...

How very exciting that I can look forward to smiles.

Sun Apr 13, 12:40:00 PM EDT  
Blogger kate said...

First smile. Awwwwww.

Mon Apr 14, 11:06:00 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home