Grace Notes

GRACE NOTE: n. in theater, a small gesture, evocative of character. / GRACE: n. unmerited divine favor. / NOTE: 1.v. to observe with care. 2.v. to preserve in writing. 3.n. an informal record.

Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Dairy Queen

I think I'm addicted to milk. We have these pint glasses, and I usually drink about 3 a day at least. Sometimes more. I love milk plain, as chocolate milk, as hot chocolate, especially with sweets, but also with certain other foods (like peanut butter or a banana) or just on its own. It's my beverage of choice with meals, and sometimes stands in as a snack on its own. There is simply no substitute. Consider the Oreo, alone. Enough said?

But something in my diet appears to be giving my baby massive gas attacks (could the drinking of milk be incompatible with the making of it? O cruel irony!). Gas is terribly painful for newborns because they don't know how to release it, so they clench up--our baby writhes, screams, and grasps at you, with these desperate, frantic eyes, for hours at times. Our internet searches keep turning up dairy as a possible cause.

So I've glumly embarked on a few milk-free days, after moving through several of the five steps (denial/anger/bargaining). I realized the extent of my addiction after Sam retired upstairs last night, when I found myself struggling with an intense compulsion to sneak a glass. Then I pictured my baby screaming and only had a few sips. For the whole day!

4 Comments:

Blogger kate said...

Oh, man, Tara! I'm not sure whether to hope it works or not.

Lizzy had a terrible time with gas, and I wonder now why I didn't even consider changing around my intake to see if that would help. I'm such a stellar mom. :)

Tue Mar 18, 12:18:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Julie said...

Oh, the irony. Here I am, forcing myself to down at least one glass a day. My father always claimed that my failure to drink milk is what prevented a sustained growth spurt. Just imagine, without it, you could have ended up shoulder to shoulder with me.

Tue Mar 18, 11:04:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Milk is positively horrific. The only thing it is good for is hot chocolate. I don't even put it in my mashed potatoes or cereal, pancakes, baked goods. Milk....yuck...I'm glad you drink enough for us all. Three or more glasses a day!!!!? Plain!!!!???? I'd take thumb screws and water torture over milk torture.

Tue Mar 25, 09:48:00 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In fact.....I'd rather have sorbet over ice cream any day!

Tue Mar 25, 09:48:00 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home