Grace Notes

GRACE NOTE: n. in theater, a small gesture, evocative of character. / GRACE: n. unmerited divine favor. / NOTE: 1.v. to observe with care. 2.v. to preserve in writing. 3.n. an informal record.

Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Pre-partum Blues

I think I've just about given up hope that this baby will ever come. I'm beginning to wonder if I'm even pregnant, or if I should just take responsibility for what I've done to myself, give up the cookies, and commence with some serious abdominal exercise.

The silly thing is, we didn't even expect her quite yet according to her due date--I've only gotten impatient because for the past 5 days, I've been in and out of fairly regular and sometimes intense contractions, sometimes for hours at a time, which then just . . . fade away.

It's like being a high school girl and having this guy who you never thought would look twice at you call and say, "I want to take you on the greatest, most exciting date ever! Cancel all your upcoming plans, pack your bags, and wait at home--I'll be over as soon as I can." But then, he doesn't show up. You're disappointed, but you go on with things until he calls again the next day. And the next. And the next. And you'd just write him off, except that all signs point to his being serious about showing up at some time and making good on the 24 lbs you've gained in anticipation. Or something like that.

It's funny how I actually feel like I have absolutely no hope that the baby is actually coming--even though of course I know rationally that she is. I guess it goes to show you how faithless your feelings can be, even in the face of all evidence to the contrary.

4 Comments:

Blogger Julie said...

Let's just hope you don't go past your due date - I would hate to see you become more despondent.

Wed Feb 27, 11:26:00 AM EST  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey Tara - Maybe she's waiting for leap day ?

Wed Feb 27, 01:19:00 PM EST  
Blogger kate said...

I remember those feelings all too well. I hope the blessed angel comes soon, and that she gives you some distinct warning when it's really time!
Leap day WOULD be awesome. :)

Wed Feb 27, 01:26:00 PM EST  
Blogger Tara said...

Yeah, a leap day birthday would just about be worth it!

Wed Feb 27, 07:50:00 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home