Pet-Love
Sometimes people say that they like having pets because their pets give them unconditional love. In the case of my cat, I must disagree. Holly Golightly's love is quite conditional, but that's the joy of it. She requires certain things--regular food and water, petting and affection, and the occasional bonus of a mouse toy or a brushing session--but those few conditions, when met, ensure her absolute loyalty and very gratifying devotion.
Just now, I came into the room to work, and she was already stretched out on the armrest of the sofa, dozing. But when I sat down at the computer, she moved over to sit next to me. She didn't want anything except to be near. She even started purring just because I was there. Where else is one's presence so purely enjoyed? Maybe this sense of being so deeply appreciated is even akin to what God likes when we worship him just by enjoying the feeling of being near him!
Holly's love is all the more to be valued because it comes from her own free will. She is dignified and self-possessed, no needy, co-dependent, slurpy dog with her tongue hanging out, begging for any table scrap, panting while she seeks gratification from some stranger's shin . . .
No, I know not all dogs are like that--I'm sure your dog is different. But it's a very special thing to be loved and chosen by a kitty.
Just now, I came into the room to work, and she was already stretched out on the armrest of the sofa, dozing. But when I sat down at the computer, she moved over to sit next to me. She didn't want anything except to be near. She even started purring just because I was there. Where else is one's presence so purely enjoyed? Maybe this sense of being so deeply appreciated is even akin to what God likes when we worship him just by enjoying the feeling of being near him!
Holly's love is all the more to be valued because it comes from her own free will. She is dignified and self-possessed, no needy, co-dependent, slurpy dog with her tongue hanging out, begging for any table scrap, panting while she seeks gratification from some stranger's shin . . .
No, I know not all dogs are like that--I'm sure your dog is different. But it's a very special thing to be loved and chosen by a kitty.
1 Comments:
The love of a cat is truly special :)
Post a Comment
<< Home