Irresolution
JS asked me yesterday if I had made any resolutions. I had to think for a moment: "I guess not." (She, characteristically, has a whole list.) But actually, I had made one, just forgotten about it. I hadn't thought of it as New Year's Resolution, which might have helped me remember it on the key day, but I would like to be better about writing in my journal every day.
Naturally, I forgot to write on January 1, but I did get to it this morning. I don't know why I want to do this. It seems especially silly because I currently have a big box of old journals that I need to either store or toss, and I can't decide which to do. It would be too laborious to go through them to make individual decisions. I had an arrangement with my parents that if anything ever happened to me, my journals and all their mortifying secrets should be burned, unread. I don't worry about Sam reading them because 1) he prefers to live in the present and 2) he would largely find them unbearably tedious. But I wouldn't really want a child of mine to find them in the future either. Lots of times, my journals were places to work out confusion, so they're probably somewhat darker than my whole personality--during happy times, I've noticed that I write very little. So, have they served their purpose and should they go, or do they provide some record of something that I'll want? It's really only for me; I think posterity would have to have about the same opinion as Sam.
Naturally, I forgot to write on January 1, but I did get to it this morning. I don't know why I want to do this. It seems especially silly because I currently have a big box of old journals that I need to either store or toss, and I can't decide which to do. It would be too laborious to go through them to make individual decisions. I had an arrangement with my parents that if anything ever happened to me, my journals and all their mortifying secrets should be burned, unread. I don't worry about Sam reading them because 1) he prefers to live in the present and 2) he would largely find them unbearably tedious. But I wouldn't really want a child of mine to find them in the future either. Lots of times, my journals were places to work out confusion, so they're probably somewhat darker than my whole personality--during happy times, I've noticed that I write very little. So, have they served their purpose and should they go, or do they provide some record of something that I'll want? It's really only for me; I think posterity would have to have about the same opinion as Sam.
1 Comments:
I didn't have resolutions yesterday. I did, however, remedy that situation today and Jason & I went through both sets together (which were broken out by categories). Good luck with yours!
Post a Comment
<< Home