Grace Notes

GRACE NOTE: n. in theater, a small gesture, evocative of character. / GRACE: n. unmerited divine favor. / NOTE: 1.v. to observe with care. 2.v. to preserve in writing. 3.n. an informal record.

Monday, December 17, 2007

Almost a Form Letter

This time around, I decided to play my response with sheer incredulity. You probably don't even need to see this student's email to understand what he's asking for, or why he wants it.

Dear ___,

Hmm . . . are you asking me to just change your grade--simply because you'd like a higher one? No, I can't do that. It would be wrong, I think, to raise students' grades so that they can make the Dean's list--after all, that is an honor, and it is supposed to signal what students have *earned*, so doing so would defeat the purpose!

3 Comments:

Blogger Maura said...

I LOVE it! Way to go on that response.

Mon Dec 17, 02:55:00 PM EST  
Blogger Julie said...

I still marvel at your ability to refrain from wringing your students' necks.

Tue Dec 18, 08:09:00 AM EST  
Blogger Tara said...

I sit on my hands.

Tue Dec 18, 05:16:00 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home