Grace Notes

GRACE NOTE: n. in theater, a small gesture, evocative of character. / GRACE: n. unmerited divine favor. / NOTE: 1.v. to observe with care. 2.v. to preserve in writing. 3.n. an informal record.

Thursday, November 29, 2007

Side View

I walked by a mirror yesterday and gasped out loud when I saw myself in profile out of the corner of my eye. There can no longer be any reinterpreting of my belly as a recent meal, poor muscle tone, a bulky waistband, or the visual distortion of horizontal stripes.

But however many indignities I encounter (as from Sam, helpful and cheerful as ever: "Your butt is getting bigger too!"), I regularly hear about some new one just around the corner, such as when Dr. B. said at Thanksgiving, "Wow, you don't even have chubby fingers." The unspoken yet is still hanging in the air, a prophecy of doom.

I figure, though, that since there's a limited timeframe for all of this, every day that passes by before I start feeling impossibly, revoltingly enormous is one day less for the total. ;)

3 Comments:

Blogger Maura said...

um. you better share a photo. i'm sure you look really cute!

Thu Nov 29, 11:01:00 PM EST  
Blogger Julie said...

We have flat Asian butts. So take heart. It will probably be a while before yours starts looking like an average butt.

Sat Dec 01, 01:29:00 PM EST  
Blogger kate said...

Pregnancy -- wahoo!
That's one of my favorite parts -- the constant scrutiny by friends and strangers alike of one's physical condition.

Tue Dec 04, 01:14:00 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home