Grace Notes

GRACE NOTE: n. in theater, a small gesture, evocative of character. / GRACE: n. unmerited divine favor. / NOTE: 1.v. to observe with care. 2.v. to preserve in writing. 3.n. an informal record.

Thursday, November 15, 2007

Man-Cation and Its Discontents

Sam should probably guest-blog an entry about man-cation, but that probably violates some kind of code. Here is what I have sussed out: He came back very cheerful, and I did find a receipt for a supply of beer and wine when I was putting away his leftover provisions. He had no new tatoos, etc. (there are no old ones either). Truly, these are nice guys--the kind that, when they got together pointedly without wives and responsibilities, apparently spent some time discussing the advantages of baby bassinets.

I myself also indulged in a wild and crazy weekend. While Sam was out of cell phone reach (or so he says) in the wilds of Ohio, I went to Nashville where I saw my dear friend Clare and the only lifesized replica of the Parthenon! Imagine that--if only we had known about it, we would not have had to travel all that way to Greece. The Nashville one has been much better kept up.

Apart from that little sight-seeing venture, mainly what Clare and I did was what forged the bond that enabled us to survive graduate school together: watched movies, read magazines, ate junk food, and wandered around in shops urging each other to buy things. It was ideal.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home