Supersize Me
Today: class (discussion of religion in John Irving's A Prayer for Owen Meany), advising, doctor's appointment, more advising, and a faculty meeting. Plus squeezing in time for considerable intake of calories. One of my students finished up her advising session early, and my first thought was: What does this give me time to eat?
A couple of weeks ago, I mentioned that I was 20 weeks along and had gained 4 or 5 pounds--which apparently raised some friendly concern in the household of Dr. B. and JS about whether it was enough. But the good doctor can rest easy: the ultrasound confirmed that the baby is exactly the "right" size. And on top of it, two days ago, I gained 2 pounds within a single day, and the next day, gained 1 more. Water, or chocolate chip cookies--who knows? I've been ravenous lately (yes, Frank, even for me). And while people tell me I'm eating for two, I also keep thinking, "Yes, but one of us is only 6 inches tall."
At this point, I can still fit into some of my clothes, but if I'm honest with myself--or heed my husband when he gasps, "Your belly is HUGE!"*--they don't quite fit the way they used to. My happiest discovery has been how incredibly comfortable maternity clothes are (I've got some stockpiled for the day I completely run out of wearable options). They have this elastic belly band that's even better than an elastic waist on regular pants because it's really wide and smooth. My first thought was "perfect for Thanksgiving!"
*Honey, you ain't seen nuthin' yet . . .
A couple of weeks ago, I mentioned that I was 20 weeks along and had gained 4 or 5 pounds--which apparently raised some friendly concern in the household of Dr. B. and JS about whether it was enough. But the good doctor can rest easy: the ultrasound confirmed that the baby is exactly the "right" size. And on top of it, two days ago, I gained 2 pounds within a single day, and the next day, gained 1 more. Water, or chocolate chip cookies--who knows? I've been ravenous lately (yes, Frank, even for me). And while people tell me I'm eating for two, I also keep thinking, "Yes, but one of us is only 6 inches tall."
At this point, I can still fit into some of my clothes, but if I'm honest with myself--or heed my husband when he gasps, "Your belly is HUGE!"*--they don't quite fit the way they used to. My happiest discovery has been how incredibly comfortable maternity clothes are (I've got some stockpiled for the day I completely run out of wearable options). They have this elastic belly band that's even better than an elastic waist on regular pants because it's really wide and smooth. My first thought was "perfect for Thanksgiving!"
*Honey, you ain't seen nuthin' yet . . .
3 Comments:
Wow, you're such an achiever!
Just keep those pounds coming . . .
Ohhhh yeah! Isn't there a 'Friends' episode where Joey wears a pair of Pheobe's maternity pants?
"Ohhhh ... here come the meat sweats."
Enjoy all that eating! Bon appetit.
Post a Comment
<< Home