Grace Notes

GRACE NOTE: n. in theater, a small gesture, evocative of character. / GRACE: n. unmerited divine favor. / NOTE: 1.v. to observe with care. 2.v. to preserve in writing. 3.n. an informal record.

Sunday, October 21, 2007

Seeing is Believing

In the past six months, I've been putting all these new word combinations together. Completely ordinary words that I hear every day, but never before from my own mouth: My + husband. My + mother-in-law. And now, as of Friday, my + daughter! (My mom, I heard from my sister, who had heard from my mom before I could even get to my sister myself, has been rehearsing "my granddaughter" quite fluently!).

As I mentioned, Sam and I were desperately eager to find out the sex of the baby. We had heard that ultrasounds can't always given an accurate picture of the sex based on the baby's position and the view the machine can get, so when the ultrasound technician gave us her prediction, we asked if she was pretty sure. She said she had been doing ultrasounds for 27 years, and "I hate to say it, but she [the baby] is very immodest." So there you have it, folks: the first information Sam and I have about our child's personality.

The technician really couldn't have been kinder or more generous with her time. For the first half-hour, she took a bunch of pictures to send to the doctor, checking the heart, other organs, measurements, etc. But then she spent another 20 minutes just giving us various looks--at the hands and feet kicking around, at the baby rolling over, at the beating heart and the perfectly curved spine. My favorite was a profile view of the face, particularly because while we were looking at her tiny little nose, the baby reached up and touched her own face with her hand.

The stages of the whole thing have been interesting--hearing the heartbeat for the first time made it real for me that what was going on was not just a bunch of chemicals or kind of a swelling, but a completely separate being, with its own pace and its own thoughts (eventually). Now, we know that this being is a girl, and having seen the pictures, it's so much easier to think of her as a baby instead of just an idea of a person.

Blessed are those who don't need to see to believe--but also blessed, I think, are those whom God grants a little glimpse.

7 Comments:

Blogger Julie said...

I never doubted for a moment that it would be a girl. Congrats!

Sun Oct 21, 08:47:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Maura said...

Congratulations, Tara! I loved reading this post. And girls are the best. Just my personal opinion. Hey sometime email me your new address and I'll send the little baby-to-be a onesie or shirt or something so she can be stylin when she arrives. :)

Sun Oct 21, 11:14:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Tara said...

Thanks, Julie!

Maura, how sweet! Thanks so much! I'm just about to email you.

Mon Oct 22, 12:19:00 PM EDT  
Blogger kate said...

Awwwwwwwwww.

I'm so, so happy for you guys.

Mon Oct 22, 02:30:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

Darn, I was betting on twins ...

Mon Oct 22, 05:39:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Tara said...

Kate--you would know about girls! :)

Frank, now that would be just cruel . . . ;)

Mon Oct 22, 08:34:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

Cruel? Naw ... you've always been an overachiever :-)

Tue Oct 23, 08:11:00 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home