Grace Notes

GRACE NOTE: n. in theater, a small gesture, evocative of character. / GRACE: n. unmerited divine favor. / NOTE: 1.v. to observe with care. 2.v. to preserve in writing. 3.n. an informal record.

Wednesday, October 03, 2007

B Student in Dental Hygiene

Sometimes I wonder why students don't do the simplest things that will improve their grades. I tell them ahead of time: "You must include a properly formatted bibliography. If you don't, you'll lose X number of points." Still, some don't include a bibliography at all. This perplexes me far more than the ones who try but do it wrong. Why don't they do something so easy? Especially when they know it will directly benefit them?

But then today I was in the dentist's chair, and the sweet, bubbly hygienist asked me how often I flossed. The truth is this: years ago, I used to be a flosser, and a few weeks ago when I realized that my next appointment was coming up, I tried to pick the habit back up again. Apparently, though (I didn't know this--who would?), pregnancy makes your gums more sensitive and prone to bleeding. When I was done, I looked like a boxer. And I promptly decided not to floss again until March.

On the other hand, if they have to ask you whether you're doing it or not, maybe it doesn't make that big of a difference. Then again, maybe they're just trying to be nice and let you confess on your own.

2 Comments:

Blogger kate said...

Oh, yeah. The pregnancy gums thing. Are they asking you to come in every three months while you're pregnant, as well? My dental insurance will pick up only two visits a year, so I kinda slid on that one.

Thu Oct 04, 02:49:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Tara said...

You know, they told me there's a new benefit with my plan that will let me come in for an extra cleaning. Which is generous, but probably the good news I could be least enthusiastic about . . .

Thu Oct 04, 04:04:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home