Grace Notes

GRACE NOTE: n. in theater, a small gesture, evocative of character. / GRACE: n. unmerited divine favor. / NOTE: 1.v. to observe with care. 2.v. to preserve in writing. 3.n. an informal record.

Monday, October 08, 2007

Collared

Since realtors will (hopefully) be showing the house when we're not here, opening doors and such, I've had to reinstate the kitty's collar. Her collar is jingly, which was the reason I took it off in the first place. It once was cute, but it's all worn and fuzzy now. Without it, she looked so independent, as if our relationship were mutually determined . . . like she might say, "I'm here because I want to be, but if I wanted to go back out on the streets, I could do it at any time." With it back on, she looks so pet-like, which gave me a strangely pleasant feeling of possessive satisfaction. Akin, I think, to the mild surprise I still feel when I see Sam's wedding ring.

3 Comments:

Blogger kate said...

Oooooooooohhhhhh.
Do you get occasional crap for the things you choose to say on your blog from the spousal unit? I do. I am curious to see his reaction to this one.

Tue Oct 09, 04:38:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Tara said...

This one got a pass because he suggested it. I was telling him something like what I ended up posting and he thought it was funny. He said something like, "Oh, are you going to blog about how you think I'm just like your cat?"

The time he wasn't too crazy about was when I posted about his past/supposed/now-assumed-fictitious infertility. Whoops. Not because he cared about that per se, but because he wondered what ELSE I might post about without asking first. But I do follow some rules--I knew the infertility thing was safe because he's been telling THAT story basically to everybody we know himself.

Tue Oct 09, 09:39:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Julie said...

Jane never gets to take her collar off because Jason thinks she will run out and get lost -- even though she's not even remotely interested in going outside. It's just a collar, but when I've had to take it off for one reason or another, Jane just looks naked.

Wed Oct 10, 11:36:00 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home