Why Sam Believes in Miracles (Now)
Not long before we got married, Sam and I were talking about my church. He'd started attending a few months before and really liked much of what I like about it--the humility and authenticity of the pastors, the pragmatism of the sermons, the emphasis on social justice. But, he announced, he did not like the way we all talked about miracles. "I just don't think those kinds of things happen anymore," he said.
"Fine," I said, "but if we have a baby within a year, you'll have to believe in miracles."
"Fine," he chortled, "THEN I'll believe in miracles. Because THAT is never going to happen."
Sam had good reasons for this assertion: he had been informed that he could not have a child naturally. An infertility specialist had told him, "A woman on the pill has a better chance of getting pregnant than you have of getting a woman pregnant." Insensitive perhaps, but confirmed with second opinions and such.
I teased him about his position while we were traveling in Greece: "You know, if I did get pregnant, you'd have to carry the heavy bags. And we'd have to eat really often."
Eventually tiring of this commentary, he replied one day, "Well, why don't we get a pregnancy test tomorrow?"
Now I was the scoffer: "Because I'm not pregnant! Why would we waste money on a pregnancy test?"
This conversation in jest was enough to get us snickering as we stood in the Greek pharmacy the next day waiting for a prescription refill, unable to read any of the labels and speculating about which would be the appropriate product. Our junior-high-health-class behavior drew the attention of the pharmacist, and after some improvisational Greek on Sam's part ("My wife and I, having been married two months [a slight exaggeration on his part], and now, maybe, the baby?"), we walked out with our little pink box.
I wasn't even going to take it. I didn't have any signs, after all. Yes, I had been nauseous, but that was the carsickness from our long bus ride. And I had been lightheaded, but come on--it was 115 degrees out! As for the other usual indicators, it was hardly even time to get suspicious yet.
But then again, we weren't going to carry this test all over Europe with us, were we? So I went ahead and dutifully took it.
When we saw the result, we dropped that hot potato onto the bed and jumped away from it. Then we zoomed around the room like two balloons that had had the air let out of them too fast. Then we changed our tickets, and then we headed for home.
A few weeks of stunned surprise later, my doctor at home nonchalantly confirmed the results (you'd think he did this kind of thing every day).
And just two weeks ago, we heard the beating of a brand new heart.
Welcome to the Vineyard, honey!
"Fine," I said, "but if we have a baby within a year, you'll have to believe in miracles."
"Fine," he chortled, "THEN I'll believe in miracles. Because THAT is never going to happen."
Sam had good reasons for this assertion: he had been informed that he could not have a child naturally. An infertility specialist had told him, "A woman on the pill has a better chance of getting pregnant than you have of getting a woman pregnant." Insensitive perhaps, but confirmed with second opinions and such.
I teased him about his position while we were traveling in Greece: "You know, if I did get pregnant, you'd have to carry the heavy bags. And we'd have to eat really often."
Eventually tiring of this commentary, he replied one day, "Well, why don't we get a pregnancy test tomorrow?"
Now I was the scoffer: "Because I'm not pregnant! Why would we waste money on a pregnancy test?"
This conversation in jest was enough to get us snickering as we stood in the Greek pharmacy the next day waiting for a prescription refill, unable to read any of the labels and speculating about which would be the appropriate product. Our junior-high-health-class behavior drew the attention of the pharmacist, and after some improvisational Greek on Sam's part ("My wife and I, having been married two months [a slight exaggeration on his part], and now, maybe, the baby?"), we walked out with our little pink box.
I wasn't even going to take it. I didn't have any signs, after all. Yes, I had been nauseous, but that was the carsickness from our long bus ride. And I had been lightheaded, but come on--it was 115 degrees out! As for the other usual indicators, it was hardly even time to get suspicious yet.
But then again, we weren't going to carry this test all over Europe with us, were we? So I went ahead and dutifully took it.
When we saw the result, we dropped that hot potato onto the bed and jumped away from it. Then we zoomed around the room like two balloons that had had the air let out of them too fast. Then we changed our tickets, and then we headed for home.
A few weeks of stunned surprise later, my doctor at home nonchalantly confirmed the results (you'd think he did this kind of thing every day).
And just two weeks ago, we heard the beating of a brand new heart.
Welcome to the Vineyard, honey!
10 Comments:
Tara! Congratulations!!!! This was such a cool story! I'm so happy for you. oh good news. I think he better believe in miracles. :)
WHAT! oh my GOODNESS! How on earth do you keep secrets like this ...
:)
I'm so happy for you. Please do blog often about how things are going.
That hearing the heart moment is quite something, isn't it.
"All things are possible"!
congratulations, tara!! i'm so excited for you! i loved the story; what a beautiful way to announce this news to the world--or at least the blogosphere.
Tara,
Congrats ,,, Sam is about to experience another miracle - witnessing Tara eating for two :-)
Frank
Good news, indeed, another John the Baptist on the way, perhaps! And it is most convincing when the Lord does a miracle in your life, that's for sure, the best evidence.
Blessings (Isa. 8:18),
Lee
Thanks, everybody! We feel surrounded by all of your good wishes, happy thoughts, and hopeful prayers.
Frank, just think: two people with my appetite!
Congratulations Tara! I can only hope that I'll be so lucky to find a job at a lovely small college, meet a fabulous husband, and have a baby. You got it all in one fell swoop!
Anne! It's so good to hear from you. Where are you and what are you up to?
hey tara! this is amy mcguff (actually, now skinner--I got married this summer too!). I don't remember how I heard about your blog, but I have checked in a few times and always find it a good read. I had to comment this time-- what great news! Congratulations! =)
Amy--wow, didn't know you were out there! :) It's so great to hear the news from UNC folks. Congratulations on getting married!
Post a Comment
<< Home