Good Student News
There are days when I wish for 9-5 job with a nice group of civilized businesspeople, but then there are days like these:
I just found out that one of my favorite students (am I allowed to say that?) just won a $5000 scholarship to study abroad in India this summer. I feel especially proud because she is the second of my students to win this scholarship, after another who toured 13 cities in Italy & Greece last summer. In both cases, the students had not been sure whether they should apply--the usual lack of confidence and feeling that there must be so many better qualified candidates. When I think about how my own perspective has benefited from learning to think about the world as big and varied, I'm so delighted and proud of these two young women for their courage in applying and for all that they'll be able to do, all the better and all the more wisely, because of their travel experiences.
Then, a few hours later, I found out that another student had gotten accepted to a program for undergraduate history majors at the G1lder Lehrman Institute. He wants to be a history professor, and he'll be a great one, so the idea of his getting this experience makes all those letters of recommendation we're always writing feel worthwhile . . .
I just found out that one of my favorite students (am I allowed to say that?) just won a $5000 scholarship to study abroad in India this summer. I feel especially proud because she is the second of my students to win this scholarship, after another who toured 13 cities in Italy & Greece last summer. In both cases, the students had not been sure whether they should apply--the usual lack of confidence and feeling that there must be so many better qualified candidates. When I think about how my own perspective has benefited from learning to think about the world as big and varied, I'm so delighted and proud of these two young women for their courage in applying and for all that they'll be able to do, all the better and all the more wisely, because of their travel experiences.
Then, a few hours later, I found out that another student had gotten accepted to a program for undergraduate history majors at the G1lder Lehrman Institute. He wants to be a history professor, and he'll be a great one, so the idea of his getting this experience makes all those letters of recommendation we're always writing feel worthwhile . . .
5 Comments:
Tara,
Congrats ... Joan will find this funny, but I guess teaching *can* be a rewarding experience.
I've actually been waiting for one of your "my student" posts as I've been wanting to share this:
http://tinyurl.com/w8w75
Does she look familiar?
Frank
Frank
Frank--LOL! :)
Way to go teach! Favoritism in teachers is widely suspected, so put your mind at ease.
Congratulations! But I'm confused about these 'civilized businesspeople' of which you speak. Are these the same folks shoving me out of the way on the metro each morning, and regaling me with tales of their, ahem, match.com exploits via e-mail?
Kate, good point--they're probably the same people as the freshman who offered me his "vomit-stained bedsheets" (direct quote) as evidence of how his night of drinking had made it impossible for him to show up to class. They've just graduated and gotten jobs!
Post a Comment
<< Home